We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance - Orlando

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Insurance - Orlando

We booked our Orlando holiday for Sept 2018 a good few months back. Taking into account it will be hurricane season what kind of insurance should I be booking. Do I need it to start immediately if I want cancellation insurance or is it ok to get it now to start on the day we travel.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
7 replies to this topic
Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
3,345 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance - Orlando

I’d advise the best possible insurance you can afford if you can get cover for “acts of god” then all the better. You should always have insurance from the minute you book a holiday otherwise if anything goes wrong you have no cover, buying. A single trip cover you give the dates of your trip but the cover starts from the moment you click buy should you need to cancel you are covered.

Scotland
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance - Orlando

You should really take out your insurance (a good standard) the minute you book your holiday, that way you are covered as required for any cancellations etc.

I'm incredulous at people who book a multi-thousand pound holiday and then wait until a few days before flying before getting insurance. madness.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Insurance - Orlando

Thanks all. We always get insurance when travelling. I wasn't aware that you are covered from the time you book your holiday even though the holiday is not for another year. Thank you all for the advice.

Scotland
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Insurance - Orlando

logic dictates it.

-book holiday a year in advance

-some event (you fall ill, hurricane, airline collapses etc etc) occurs two weeks before flying and your holiday is cancelled

-no insurance - tuff you've lost everything

or

-book holiday a year in advance

-take out travel policy to cover that holiday same day as booking

-some event (you fall ill, hurricane, airline collapses etc etc) occurs two weeks before flying and your holiday is cancelled

-covered and send off your claim

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
10,763 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Insurance - Orlando

OK, we now have permanent Travel Insurance courtesy of our bank account, but before then we certainly took it out at the time of booking the holiday.

We have 2 live examples of it being necessary!

We had to cancel a 2009 holiday on a Friday when we were due to leave on the following Monday when my wife was told go to hospital now, do not pass go & by the way, you can't fly.

And my ex-wife died on the Tuesday before my son took his girlfriend to WDW on the Friday

Cheshire
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Insurance - Orlando

Because we book flights and accomodation seperately, we always choose a policy which has extended travel disruption cover. This certainly covers you for something like the 'ash cloud' situation of a few years ago, but not sure about hurricanes.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Insurance - Orlando

Booked up with Aviva for just under £150 for 2 of us but got the best insurance they offered including acts of god, cancellations, missing/delayed flights, baggage loss etc.

Reply to: Travel Insurance - Orlando
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted