We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed with Vacay Rental Search

Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed with Vacay Rental Search

We are 5 adults looking for a 5BR rental home in the Orlando area this November and you think that would be easy. After a horrendous experience with the condition of our rental in The Hamlet at Westhaven last year despite many positive traveler reviews, we are trying to be extra careful with our rental plans.

Where is the best place to look for a property?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
8 replies to this topic
Whitefish, Montana
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed with Vacay Rental Search

Go to Homeaway or VRBO but only look at properties with multiple recent five star reviews. Location is key so use filters to help narrow down where you want to be and the type of home you need to rent.

Reunion has many newer larger homes that might suit your family.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed with Vacay Rental Search

Even the 5 star reviews had to start somewhere so I wouldn’t ignore a property for having no or few reviews.

However I agree it’s difficult to get the right property, unless you know the owner, you end up taking a chance.

I have rented the last few years and never mind how many checks you do I always am anxious when I first open the door to the rental.

Saying that I haven’t had a bad experience in the Orlando area yet!!!

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed with Vacay Rental Search

Thanks, we had a rental last year that had many 5* reviews and it was a complete disaster so point is taken. The level of filth at this vacation rental would leave just about anyone speechless. I tried to post a review of the property on TA several times with pictures but it would not accept it for whatever reason. I do see that the owners are still renting properties and using pictures that are most certainly from many years ago. There should be a law against that.

I will try to filter on the city, so far that doesn't seem to be working for me on VRBO.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed with Vacay Rental Search

Have a look on a forum called the Dibb lots of owners on there and reviews have a look

Edited: 5:36 pm, September 22, 2017
US
Level Contributor
5,167 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed with Vacay Rental Search

Can you afford a condo resort instead? Somewhere like Wyndham Bonnet Creek? Something where you're not subject to one owner but have a hierarchy to deal with any problems that come up.

Mentioned in this post
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort
Wyndham Bonnet Creek...
4,113 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Flintshire N Wales
Level Contributor
963 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed with Vacay Rental Search

What about vista cay off universal boulevard, we are here now and the complex is fab, pool area, gym, games room, publix down road, 3 bedroom condo sleeps 6 ours has a king master en suit, then a twin and a two queen room. ...

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelmed with Vacay Rental Search

HomeAway ref 85532 or http://alderhouse-orlando.com/

I have stayed here, the owner has a charcoal bbq, spa / pool and games room. Nice master bedrooms (two) with large connected balcony overlooking grass, woods, lake. And it's not the most expensive either.

Many owners are financially stretched and standards have slipped, as you witnessed. This home in January 2017 was perfectly acceptable and far cheaper than comparable others.

Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwhelmed with Vacay Rental Search

Yes that's a good idea. I wonder is Solterra in Davenport is one?

Mentioned in this post
Davenport
Davenport
Central Florida, FL
Reply to: Overwhelmed with Vacay Rental Search
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted