We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Margate, QLD
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

Hey!!! Flying into Orlando from Australia, reading lots of nightmare car hire reviews online!!! Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance!

18 replies to this topic
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
18,501 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

Have a look at Alamo and Avis.

I have no idea how you book your hire car in Australia but in the UK we can book directly with the company and that way we know that all the insurances and taxes needed for driving in the US are included. Make sure you have fully inclusive insurance as Basic is not enough.

When you have decided who to hire with, you can join their loyalty programme so you can skip the counter and go straight to the car garage, so avoiding the hard sell, which all car hire firms try no matter how good they are.

If you are only going to be driving in and around Orlando and not going down to Miami, you will not need to use a SunPass transponder at toll plazas as you can pay cash. Make sure the company you hire the car from does not try and push this on you as it can end up costing a lot of money.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire

Have a look at vehiclerent.com and airportrentals.com. I just booked a car for October from Europcar using vehicle rent and the price was great. It pays to watch as the prices rise and fall over a few days. They use the major companies on and off the airport and so far so good.

Brad

Edited: 6:56 am, August 17, 2017
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire

Alamo... They have never let us down, unlike Dollar and Budget.

glasgow
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire

Used Hertz last time with no problems.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
794 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire

As an Aussie, you can certainly book through uscarhire.com, they will quote you in $, £ or €, all insurance included, if you go with an Alamo vehicle you should be able to do online check in & possibly skip the counter altogether

I find them very good, no problems with any rental through them

Port of Spain...
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire

We usually book flight and car together or as the others said you look at the difference with flight separate and rent when you arrive so check the monetary vale.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
18,501 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire

No, do not rent when you arrive! Rent before you leave Australia or it could end up costing you a lot more money!

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire

We arrived in Orlando on the 9th of October and went straight to the advantage counter. Our reservations was through vehiclerent.com for a Europcar Hyundai Sonata. Advantage are Europcar at Orlando international and the lady at the counter confirmed our reservation and our Sonata. We collected the paperwork and headed over to the garage to pick up the car.

I had previously read on this forum where advantage at Orlando international often try and issue cars below the vehicle category / value that had been reserved. With this information I was prepared and ready for this occur. The carafe staff tried to give me a Kia Soul and told me it's the same size as a full size sonata. I disagreed and after further discussion was offered another mid sized sedan similar to a Hyundai Accent. Neither car was suitable for the four us and our luggage. I spent over 30 minutes going around and around with the garage staff after 20 hours of travel from Australia with my wife, kids and luggage waiting in the car park at 8:30pm.

Eventually after I showed no sign of backing down and having a printed copy of my original booking with vehicle rent, the garage staff gave me a Toyota Camry. The Camry is the same size/catergory and value to the sonata.

It is obvious the advantage staff are told to hand out cars below the catergory / value reserved. I was lucky that I had read similar experiences on this forum so I was prepared.

Other than that issue I can not fault the car, it was in good condition and clean.

I would never get a toll pass from any rental company. In Orlando, you can get a $5 Sunpass sticker from Publix or Walgreens which are much better options than the price from Europcar/advantage.

Margate, QLD
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire

Thanks for your reply and the tip on the toll pass, so the $5 pass get a you through how many tolls? Yeah the last thing you need to be doing is haggling after a long haul flight 😩

I ended up booking mine through Qantas with Budget, as they don’t charge for extra spouse driver. We get into Orlando around 8.30 pm also we are flying Syd-dfw-mco. Hopefully we don’t have any dramas.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,678 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire

Sarah,

You don’t NEED a SunPass if staying in the central Florida area. All tolls can be paid in cash if you stay in the far right lane.

Reply to: Car Hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted