We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent advice needed

UK - Bournemouth
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent advice needed

We have a holiday booked for April to Orlando but unfortunately my usually well behaved 18 year old son and his friends got arrested last night. If, and i hope it is only 'if', they are charged with assault and not just cautioned, how will this affect him travelling?

Any advice appreciated so i am prepared.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
North West England
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent advice needed

Hi,

I'm not an expert on this and hopefully someone else will help fill you in on this one but, as far as i know of the process you might be in real trouble :-(

even if he isnt charged just the fact that he has been arrested is going to mean he is required to obtain a visa for travelling to the US.... and with you going next month i doubt there is any way you will be able to get one in time (there was a poster last week who is having to fly to Belfast in order to get one quicker as the London office has something like a 2 month wait just to get an appointment!

the place to get in touch with is the American Embassy in London, you can call them on 09055 444546 (this is charged at £1.30 per min!)

their website is www.usembassy.org.uk but in order to get the correct info right away you would be better to call ....

wish i could give you better news :-(

Lara

Mentioned in this post
London
London
Ontario, Canada
Shropshire UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent advice needed

Good Advice Lara,

there is definitely a question on the 'visa waiver' about ever being arrested and its too late when you are on the plane. About 10 yrs ago a friend of mine failed to disclose that he had been arrested (not charged) he was refused entry and sent straight back.

best of luck

Lardy

uk
Level Contributor
867 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent advice needed

Holy moly I feel for you as hubby is in Belfast as we speak trying to get a visa for usa. He only has a small affence 20 yrs ago but we had to get one...We started the ball rolling on1st Jan and thats a long time of headaches.. Unless he is put on bail I think that if I was you I would just go...It also depends on what he did really as if its drug related then start banging your head now, if its a childish offence thats different. Good luck chuck what ever..Kids eh we just love em!!!!

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent advice needed

Ginny

I'm so sorry. I'm afraid i don't have any information for you but I just wanted to say that I really feel for you. I too have a 18 year old and i have to say it has been one of the most stressful times of our lives. Not yet men but easily lead.... Take a deep breath, ring the Ambassy as suggested or even the travel agency.... Good luck

Hbee

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,522 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent advice needed

Bad luck Ginny, we have an 18 year old son as well and it was always a great incentive for him to keep his nose clean as he wants to coach in the States one day.

You will definitely have a problem if it is assault, even if he isn't charged.

However, I might be tempted to 'wing it' as it will take so long for them to process it that it shouldn't appear on the system until long after you are back.

Your alternative is, as suggested, get in touch with the embassy and you may have to schlep over to Belfast as time is tight.

Good luck!

UK - Bournemouth
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent advice needed

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts.

He was arrested for fighting but he is still to be interviewed. Hopefully he will be let off with a caution but i have to find out if this would still go against him. God help us if he is charged.

Sitting here waiting for a phone call to pick him up, smoking too much .............. this is the first time he has ever been in trouble. He is usually such a level headed young man but out with mates, drinking, only leads to trouble. The last thing i said to him was 'be good'. Didnt listen did he!!!!!

Ginny

uk
Level Contributor
867 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent advice needed

I was told that if you go for a job and they ask if you have a crimial record..you dont have to say yes if its only a caution...So lets keep our finger crossed..I would not start the ball rolling at the embassy the paper work itself takes ages and you have not even started the paper work at this side yet...

UK - Bournemouth
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent advice needed

We went to America the year before last and i have just remembered that some 20 years ago i got a caution for shoplifting. I have only just remembered this now - had i realised the implications of being refused entry into the US, i would have been bricking it.

Ginny

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent advice needed

Ginny

On reflection it may be wiser to hold fire. About 6 weeks ago, our car was hit and the driver left the scene; luckily my son took a photo with his mobile and caught his number plate. We contacted the police and had to pop into our local station with our driving licence and insurance documents. As far as we are aware they are still sorting it out and as i said that was six weeks ago. So in conclusion these things take time.

Shropshire UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent advice needed

Just a word of warning as a police officer (please no boo's). On the assumption that your son is on bail from being arrested last night and having to return to the police station whilst enq's continue. Regardless of charged or not at ths stage his details will have been placed on 'PNC' police national computer as being involved in an assault (this does not mean he is a criminal or guilty but is proceedure)

I cant comment on how this information is shared with other law enforcement agenices but bearing in mind the current security issues I would persume this is done very quickly regardless of how 'minor' any offence is. I think you would be crazy to just 'wing it' without having discussed this with the embassy and waste what I imagine is not a cheap holiday. Please use common sense.