We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney's Hotel differences...

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
852 posts
Save Topic
Disney's Hotel differences...

Hi, we are looking to book our 5th Disney trip for Oct 2018 (we haven't been since 2014)but our usual choice of Disney's Port Orleans Riverside is quite expensive! We are looking at All star sports resort instead as this would save us around £600 per person. Is there much difference in the 2 resorts as in room amenities, pools etc..? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Port Orleans...
9,385 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Rock Hill, South...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney's Hotel differences...

Hi!

The rooms in the value resorts are going to be smaller and they will open to an outdoor corridor, not an interior hallway. The value resorts tend to be very "kid friendly", so you're going to see a lot of bright colors and explicitly Disney themed decor, instead of the more muted themes of the moderate and deluxe resorts. The All Star resorts are the cheapest, so they do tend to be a little bit outdated compared to the other resorts.

The value resorts do not have TS dining, either, but they do have QS dining. If Pop Century is in your budget, I'd definitely check it out. It's the best reviewed value (that isn't Art of Animation)

Have you considered staying off property?

Mentioned in this post
Disney's Pop Century Resort
Disney's Pop Century...
11,289 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
852 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney's Hotel differences...

Thank you for your reply. We have never stayed off property before as we never drive while there but it is another consideration. We were looking at the Avanti but I'd need to look at what shuttles they provide to parks. We also may hire a car but don't want to drive from the airport!

US
Level Contributor
5,162 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney's Hotel differences...

I wouldn't rely on hotel shuttles- their schedules don't tend to be ideal (start too late in the AM, end too early in the PM) but Uber is a nice option for getting around without a rental car.

I'd price out more Disney resorts though. I think the onsite perks are worth the extra $.

Rock Hill, South...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney's Hotel differences...

Avanti would be a great option! I 2nd the uber option-- it's a cheap way to get around easily without having to spend more money on a rental car. If staying on property is important to you, I think choosing to stay in one of the values would be a great option. But if you know you aren't going to spend a lot of time at your hotel, maybe staying off property could be an option?

Either way, I'm sure you all will have a great time! :)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
852 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney's Hotel differences...

We are finding it very difficult to choose between on-site or off!

We would love to try off site so that we have more eating out options but struggling to see how you get about as the off site hotel shuttles don't tend to go to all parks and time restricted. We have just discovered that you also have resort fees to pay!

If we stay onsite we wouldn't have all of the eating out options and always spend a fortune to get anywhere other than Disney.

Does anyone have any suggestions on best off site properties with good shuttles?

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney's Hotel differences...

All Star Sports is great, as long you adjust your expectations that is not Port of Orleand. You get the same perks regarding transportation, EMH, 60 days prior to book FP, etc.

My Orlando rule is that if I'm visiting Disney I'd stay on site. Last year we visited the other parks too but stayed at All Star Sports the whole trip.

One time we only did Universal and stayed at Universal. But if we're mixing Disney and Universal we'd definitely stay at Disney

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Rock Hill, South...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney's Hotel differences...

Holiday Inn Disney Springs

Clarion Lake Buena Vista

Staybridge Suites Lake Buena Vista

Mentioned in this post
Disney Springs
Disney Springs
10,624 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Buena Vista Suites
Buena Vista Suites
1,201 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Staybridge Suites Lake Buena Vista
Staybridge Suites Lake...
2,849 Reviews
Orlando, FL
pa
Level Contributor
54,976 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney's Hotel differences...

Are you getting Quotes that include the Free Dining Offer ?

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
20,062 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney's Hotel differences...

Both value resorts and moderates are motel like in that the door opens out to the outside (deluxe resorts have inside corridors). Value resorts have smaller rooms and smaller beds. For the UK dining deal, value resorts only get one quick service credit, moderates get quick service, deluxe get the regular dining plan.

Are you planning on Universal and other activities beside Disney? Look at the Avanti (shuttles to all parks, Homewood suites (free breakfast and shuttles to all parks), Floridays (for a condo type set up and shuttles to all parks). If mostly doing Disney take a look at the Disney Springs Resorts (they all have shuttles to Disney and from some you can walk over to Disney Springs).

Mentioned in this post
Disney Springs
Disney Springs
10,624 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
852 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney's Hotel differences...

Hi,

We will be doing all parks not just Disney and yes partypa the Disney quotes are with free dining.

Avanti only has a Disney shuttle to Epcot, not the rest of the Disney parks.

Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
25,394 Reviews
Orlando, FL