We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari Celebration Dinner on the Disneyworld Dining Plan

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Providence,RI
Level Contributor
67 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Safari Celebration Dinner on the Disneyworld Dining Plan

We purchased the Disney World Dining Plan and are looking forward to a special Disney experience by going to the Safari Celebration Dinner. Has anyone tried it? What food, entertainment and characters are provided. I can't seem to find menu or review on this option.

We are bringing small children and don't want them to be bored or frightened.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,979 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari Celebration Dinner on the Disneyworld Dining Plan

I'm not sure , but I thought that was one of those "Magical Gathering " activities which are specially planned only for groups of 8 or more. Is your group that size? I'm not sure it is included in the Dining Plan... maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

Now I've found a review of it on www.allears.net- can't provide a link, so here's a copy/paste- but it does seem to require 8- and I don't know if it's on the Dining Plan...

Review Date: Thu May 18, 2006 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Rating: 10

Pros: Personalized tour; great food and entertainment

Cons: none

Our family of 8 did the SAFARI CELEBRATION on our last day at DW on May 14. It is a wonderful experience for a Grand Gathering. Our family met along with others at the Flights of Wonder area in AK at 5:30 pm and were registered and placed with another grand group in our section ("the HIPPOS") Each of the 5 or 6 sections had a tour guide for the safari.Ours was a very personable and well informed young man who chatted with my teenagers and my girls andtook names of all birthdays that month (we had 3). We were then introduced to our MC and hostess, "Mama", a delightful African woman, full of savy quips and instructions. We got into our safari vehicles and had an up close and personal tour with our guide. My two little girls even got to sit up front with the guide. (The guide was not the driver)The tour was longer and slower than the usual safari tour and we learned more about the animals.It did not have the same canned storyline either.

After the tour we went back to Tusker House for what was the BEST meal of our trip. The African dishes were all served family style (lamb stew, prime rib and chicken dishes with wonderful curries and side dishes). Everything was delicious and absolutely satisfied the varying tastes and capacities of our family. There was also a children's plate of macaroni and cheese and chicken fingers and applesauce served to my two girls as well. The drinks were unlimited (sodas and coffe/tea that is-hard stuff was extra) and our waiter brought the sodas to each of my 4 teenage boys two at a time!Then there was delicious baklava and chocolate cake for dessert and you could even take home the dessert leftovers if you wanted.They also gave me the recipe upon request for one of the entrees.

The entertainment was an African quartet,and a strolling African musician. Also ,all of the children "helped" out the musicians with various rattles etc on one number."Mama" acknowledgewd Mother's Day, and everyone's birthdays and anniversaries. Some groups had four generations of family members! I think we were the only family that was a grand gathering by itself!Several of the game wardens brought a snake and other critters for people to pet (complete with hand sanitizers after petting). King Louie was also available outside the restaurant to pose for photos.

Everyone (even those worldly wise teens) left the party singing and happy. Since the park had been closed for over two hours, the guides had arranged busses for all destinations that the guests wanted. We headed off on our Magic Kingdom bus and made it in time for viewing the MK fireworks at the second level of the RR station. And it was extra magic hours too! All in all a Magical day and a great ending to our vacation.

I would highly recommend this special SAFARI event to any of you on a Grand Gathering trip

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,451 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari Celebration Dinner on the Disneyworld Dining Plan

If this truly is a "grand gathering" event, then it is NOT covered on the Disney dining plan. It is a totally separate event.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari Celebration Dinner on the Disneyworld Dining Plan

It's not part of the Dining Plan-you have to book it separately through Disney Dining.Try Boma instead if you want to eat at the AKL,its an excleent buffet.

4. Re: Safari Celebration Dinner on the Disneyworld Dining Plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 22, 2009