We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct or indirect flights to Orlando?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Direct or indirect flights to Orlando?

As a family of 4 we have 2 flight options to Orlando this August.

Indirect with AA via JFK, with 2 hours to connect to domestic flight to Orlando or direct (virgin) however there is a £1000 difference in price.

Is it stressful doing indirect flights? It's a huge saving but I don't want to board the plane in London & spend the entire flight worrying about claiming luggage, going through customs & getting on another flight??

Any advice welcome, thank you

Puckeridge
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Direct or indirect flights to Orlando?

We had the exact same debate. We are a family of 5 and decided that for our first time visiting we didn't want the added stress of possibly missing connecting flights. It does save you a lot of money doing in-direct.....I was assured that 2 hours would be plenty of time for connecting. A £1000 goes a long way towards spending money. We just decided we couldn't risk it and booked direct for a decent price of £525pp.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,942 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Direct or indirect flights to Orlando?

I'm stressed just reading your words

In - direct flights are only stressful

if you make others in your group feel

stressed.

Stop worrying about doing immigration &

customs you can't opt out of it

Doing immigration & customs on route

means you'll arrive into MCO as a

domestic passenger.

Have a stress free good one.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,886 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Direct or indirect flights to Orlando?

Welcome to TA forums!

First of all, Americans use different terminology and consider a "direct" flight as the same plane with or without a stopover. In contrast,a non-stop flight is just that. Direct AND non-stop.

If there is a stopover with a change of planes, at JFK for example, just make sure there is plenty of time between the two. My personal recommendation is 2+ hours if the domestic flight is aboard the same airline. It's easy to do, especially with a savings of £1000.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
306 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Direct or indirect flights to Orlando?

I would go with indirect if it saves you $1,000. I am sure there are multiple flights going from JFK to Orlando each day, and they can always re-accommodate you on the next flight if you do miss your connecting flight. I do think that 2 hours is plenty of time to get through customs and re-check your bags. But ultimately, it is your decision.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Direct or indirect flights to Orlando?

Remember if you fly indirect you will arrive at Orlando as a domestic passenger and be pretty much straight out of there as opposed to 1-3 hours going through immigration. So you are therefore doing the immigration where you change planes and therefore not adding much time to your overall journey.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,966 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Direct or indirect flights to Orlando?

Yes Vic but these people aren't Americans they are traveling from the UK so the terms we recognise are Direct or Indirect- it's confusing enough for first time visitors without throwing another permutation into the mix 😐

To the OP - many people do fly indirect however for your first time and unless you are desperate to save money I would fly direct although I'm sure many people with disagree

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,886 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Direct or indirect flights to Orlando?

Susie,

Since they are coming to America I'm trying to help them to communicate with Americans using our brand of English. 😐

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
978 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Direct or indirect flights to Orlando?

Going through immigration and rechecking bags is not that bad, even with kids. My hubby and I did it in November coming back from the Dominican Republic with 2 kids under 4. We went through Fort Lauderdale though. It's not as large as JFK but I have traveled through JFK coming back from the UK years ago. The larger airports tend to be more efficient but do sometimes take a little bit longer to navigate through. However, 2 hours should be fine.

Just don't overdo it. Consider just trying to bring 2 suitcases for the 4 of you and backpacks or small carry-ons. Remember to bring a few essentials in the carry-ons just in case your bags do get lost.

And try not to stress. Kids can sense fear!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Direct or indirect flights to Orlando?

Thank you so much everyone, we've flown to the US a few times now, last year we left our choice of holiday late (USA road trip) so just booked & paid fabulous holiday, though wouldn't fly UA again!! 2 years ago we flew to Orlando via Dublin, got flights in their sale, it was cheaper to fly business than economy!! Best thing was going through immigration in Dublin, with a brief stop in Philadelphia.

Feel we've left it too late to get a good deal on flights, price of flights are constantly changing throughout the day!!!

Disney & Universal is already booked we did that last year at a great price. Part of me is saying go with the indirect flights as it's a great saving, we'd fly from Heathrow too, though the other part is saying go direct, get on the plane & chill, with 2 young children in tow that's music to my ears, however at a cost!!!

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Direct or indirect flights to Orlando?

Hardly ever go direct when travelling to USA, mainly because there are not usually flights to the places I want to go to from Manchester.

Have done all sorts of connections over the years and I wouldn't think twice about it if it saves you money.

I am surprised that you state that there are only 2 x options though.

When we were last in Florida we picked up a connection in Washington and have also done Atlanta several times.