We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Standard AOA rooms VS Pop

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,665 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Standard AOA rooms VS Pop

AOA is always so expensive and we don't need the theme suits. Once in a while I see a standard room come up at about the same price as Pop and the All Stars. Is there any advantage to going with an AOA standard vs the Pop? Are they nicer rooms, for example?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,640 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Standard AOA rooms VS Pop

Pop Century and All-Star resorts are the ones where discounts can be found; the standard rooms at AoA have never been discounted with any of the promotions as they are exempt. You'll always pay full price for the standard Mermaid rooms at AoA.

The standard rooms at AoA, other than decor, are exactly that same as you would get at Pop Century. In fact, the buildings where they are located are ones left over from what was supposed to be phase II of Pop Century that never came about. They are a good distance away from the main building at AoA, but if the walk doesn't bother you, it's not a big deal.

With the refurbs going on at Pop right now, the rooms at Pop may be more up-to-date than the standard rooms at AoA, since they opened in 2012.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,665 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Standard AOA rooms VS Pop

Good to know. The standard at AOA is $149 and Pop was about $140 for some dates in Sept. Got me thinking maybe we wanted to check out a different value, but doesn't seem worth it.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,640 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Standard AOA rooms VS Pop

Keep an eye out for discounts for September on the rooms at Pop. They may be only 20%, but still that's better than none.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Standard AOA rooms VS Pop

Honestly, I'm curious to try out AOA, but those rooms are kind of a turn off. Yes, Pop and the All Stars have an in your face theme that is over the top, but at least the rooms are relatively muted once you get inside. You can "shut off" the over the top theming so to speak. There is no shutting off the Little Mermaid rooms. I think those rooms would be great for a child, but that would get old really quick for me being in that room without a child.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Standard AOA rooms VS Pop

JMHO:

AoA has better theming and a much better pool and play area if you have little ones.

I vastly prefer the food court at AoA. They use standard plates and cutlery rather than paper/plastic and have a much larger selection of healthier options than Pop. I stay at Pop due to price and the distance of the AoA standard rooms but request a room near the bridge over to AoA so that I can access the food court there.

Standard rooms at AoA are a looooong way from the bus stop and food court.

Pop Century is more likely to book blocks of rooms to large groups (think cheerleaders, sports teams, etc.) than AoA. The All Stars are most popular with these types of groups but they do show up at Pop occasionally. I had cheerleaders last February.

Edited: 10:56 am, March 28, 2017
sugar land, texas
Level Contributor
4,399 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Standard AOA rooms VS Pop

We have stayed at Movies before, but other than that, always stay at Pop.

I have planned and even booked Little Mermaid standard at AOA a couple of times, but always switch to Pop, bc as Kat stated the LM rooms are never discounted.

While staying at Pop, I had always intended to check out AOA. The two resorts are connected by a bridge.

This year we were in a preferred 60s building room at Pop.

On our last day at the parks. A bus for AOA pulled up while we were waiting to go back to Pop. I hesitated getting on bc we needed to get to our resort to catch our bus back to the airport.

My daughter said we could go to AOA and walk from there.

So we took the AOA bus. We got there & bought a few items in the gift shop & asked for directions to Pop.

I have to laugh now, bc the resorts really are so close to one another.

Turns out, where we were in our 60s room at Pop, had we taken a right, instead of heading left to the main building, we would have seen the bridge.

My daughter felt the two were similar enough that she felt like we were in a "parallel universe" as far as the layout.

We stepped out the back of AOA main building and out toward the Nemo pool area.

I have to say that I still personally prefer Pop.

The pool area was so bright at AOA. The buildings somehow look more prefab and concrete, despite the bright colors. There is something very stark about it, despite all the brightness. It was indeed "cheerful."

This coming from someone who likes the value resorts vs moderate bc of the fun decor.

As we walked over the "Generation Gap" bridge toward Pop, I could see the Little Mermaid (standard

rooms) in the distance. People complain that they are a long walk from the main area and buses. They appeared to be far away.

I could see exactly what Kat mentioned. How they had originally been part of Pop.

In all fairness, I did not go in the food court at AOA, or look in any of the rooms.

Also in fairness, as much as we love Pop, we have noticed for several years now. That the rooms need to be updated.

They are in the midst of doing just that.

We saw no sign of it a couple of weeks ago. Our room was the same and we heard or saw nothing.

For us, the familiarity and comfort of Pop works. Although dated for now, the rooms are always clean.

I was able to get a preferred room (closer proximity) to main building/food court and transportation) for the price of a standard for about $136 on a weeknight during peak season (spring break).

That alone was worth it for us.

I hope we will like the new remodel of the rooms when they are all done.

Edited: 11:05 am, March 28, 2017
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,665 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Standard AOA rooms VS Pop

Just looking at dates and prices. We wouldn't book at $140, waiting for discounts. Sometimes our passholder discount is worth it, sometimes it's just so much better to book with Orbitz/Expedia. We check it all. I'm anxious to see the refurb rooms at Pop. Our next stay is the May 20th wknd, and while it would be nice to get one, I highly doubt they will be available yet. Perhaps later in fall (going back for the Food and Wine).

mojomo - we really like the values as well! We have done the Beach Club (eh) and French Quarter (like it, but $100 more a night??), but the values really suit us better. We literally just sleep there. Never used the pools or food court (ok, once for lunch on check out day). The All Stars are good, too, but the Pop has that dedicated bus. And now, we've discovered uber which is so easy and convenient. If the bus is too long out, we just summon up uber! Hubby would like to try the Contemporary once just so we can walk to Magic Kingdom, but we simply can not justify the costs.

Level Contributor
684 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Standard AOA rooms VS Pop

We have stayed at both. Little mermaid cuter rooms basically the same otherwise. There is no chance to be closer to main building so that is a consideration if the walk bothers you. Food courts seem similar pools aren't that different except AOA is better themed we liked both but movies is our favorite of the three

sugar land, texas
Level Contributor
4,399 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Standard AOA rooms VS Pop

ZsaZsa, I can't justify paying more either.

My first time staying on Disney property was Port Orleans Riverside.

Can't recall why we chose the moderate. I think it was the most affordable room for as many people in our party at the time.

This was a long time ago. Prior to suites at Music and long before AOA was built.

Although the grounds were lovely, especially the area around the main building w/waterwheel, I found the walk to the bus was farther. The wait for the bus was longer.

The room itself was very brown toned.

The next time we stayed at Movies and have stayed at value ever since.

We do eat some breakfasts in the Pop food court & that can be a little hectic. The food is okay.

I think the AOA food court is supposed to be nicer than Pop. I think they may have a build your own pasta set up, which is something they had at POR.

Since we are at the parks all day long & temps on March can be iffy for the pools, we are always perfectly happy at Pop.

Everyone needs to remember, you get the same great Disney service on all Disney properties.

Wish I could afford a deluxe stay!

Edited: 5:31 pm, March 28, 2017
10. Re: Standard AOA rooms VS Pop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 30, 2018