We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much are you tipping your taxi driver?

STL
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How much are you tipping your taxi driver?

We pay $75 each way to North Captiva (which I believe is the same to Captiva).

How much are you tipping? I want to make sure we're tipping properly.

I think the standard is 10-15% but $7.50-$11.25 seems kind of low for what amounts to a 45 minute trip. We never take taxis so I have very little experience with them.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much are you tipping your taxi driver?

When we took a taxi to Captiva Village from RSW, it was $75 for up to three people, $10 per each extra person. For our family of 5, it was $95. We gave him a $25 tip, which was basically 25 percent. I might have tipped more if he had helped more with the bags, but he didn't. I think 25 percent made everyone happy, it was a long ride, very late at night, and the driver was very kind to my exhausted kids!

STL
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much are you tipping your taxi driver?

I gave the driver a $20 last trip since we had a lot of luggage and he really did most everything. I have a hard time sitting back and letting someone else take care of me in those type of situations so I always pitch in as much as they'll let me. I had a conversation with a friend and he said that was probably too much but tipping the "standard amount" didn't really seem appropriate in this situation. I did tip less on the way back because of some complications with the driver that I outlined in my trip report last year.

I appreciate your advice Bean! Tipping is always awkward for me in situations where I don't know what the standard amount is.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much are you tipping your taxi driver?

We are often in NYC and I tip anywhere from 15 to 20 percent there. Our cab rides are much shorter and the fare much less for shorter distance. So on an $10 fare, I'd give them $12.

I think the ride to the Island is a little different, it is likely they won't have a return customer on the way back to the airport when they drop you off.

So I take it you are returning to North Captiva! When are you going?

STL
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much are you tipping your taxi driver?

We are returning to the island next Wednesday April 9th. We're leaving the kids with the grandparents this time around. It will be a much different trip for us. It goes without saying but it's much eaiser to plan and prepare without the kids in tow. I'm looking forward to a different type of adventure this time.

We promised the kids we'd take them back. Hopefully by the end of this year but more than likely, it will have to wait until next year.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much are you tipping your taxi driver?

I would do most anything to be heading to a secluded Island next week, lucky you! Have a fantastic trip!

6. Re: How much are you tipping your taxi driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 06, 2015