We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noseeums

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Noseeums

We are so excited about our first trip to Florida including 5 days beginning of March on Captiva. I just read something about Noseeums which I have to admit is completely new to me . Mosquito's which I understand are different and absolutely love me . I read they are out in early morning and evening. We plan on walking to restaurants from Jensen's most evenings and have concerns about getting bitten badly . Do they tend to gather closer to the water and is it certain time's of the year they are bad ? Is it best to pack bug spray ? Any suggestions or tips to reassure me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

United States
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Noseeums

No, I didn't see it, but I saw your comment on the Sanibel forum about multiple advertising posts, so I figured it out.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,071 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Noseeums

We must have been lucky. I've been to Sanibel and Captiva several times and never got bitten. However I had a terrible reaction to them in a Savannah. Maybe it was the time of year we were there, October and January, or our activities.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Noseeums

So are dawn shelling hunts and walks at sunset out?

United States
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Noseeums

Absolutely not out!! Actually I don't think I get bitten on the beach. I'm sure it's possible, but I am very loved by those little buggers, and they find me more around the rental unit and the vegetation. Hope for a breeze and you are safe. I forgot when you are going, Lucille, but last June it was breezy every single day. I came home without a bite.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Noseeums

Good to know. Yes, June next year. I will also bring some bug spray but I hate putting that (especially the Deet) on my daughter. You all don't want me to get started on the FDA. ;)

We have never encountered them in Florida, however my nephew had a run in with something that made his armpits itch/burn like a son of a gun. Was it sea lice?

Edited: 5:19 pm, May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,071 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Noseeums

Doughnut, fancy meeting you this far south! Lucille, when I had my noseeum bites they were on areas like the arms, legs and neck they could easily get at. My gut feeling is that was some other type of critter. I'm reading River of Doubt about Theodore Roosevelt's time in the Amazon. They said the men could handle snakes and jaguars better than the biting insects, it could make them crazy. As a victim of those suckers, I definitely understand it. Mosquitoes for me, aren't fun, but not big deal, those things last days and got worse before they got better.

United States
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Noseeums

Hey there, Frozen. We go to Captiva in the summer, which is the only time we can afford to go.

Lucille, I don't know anything about sea lice, but don't worry yourself about those noseeums. They come and go. Wind will be your best friend. I've only gone home severely bitten up one time in 20+ years, and it was my own fault. Hanging out on the lanai in the night time without any bug spray was not a wise move.

Plus, strangely, the kids with us on the trip that year were hardly bothered. I'm sure they were not wearing Deet, but something especially for kids.

Mid-Atlantic
Level Contributor
292 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Noseeums

We tried the no see um spray. It has a really pungent smell. It kept them off. However, we never used it again after the first time due to the nasty smell. My own personal opinion. We stick with Deep Woods off now.

19. Re: Noseeums

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 31, 2015