We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noseeums

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Noseeums

We are so excited about our first trip to Florida including 5 days beginning of March on Captiva. I just read something about Noseeums which I have to admit is completely new to me . Mosquito's which I understand are different and absolutely love me . I read they are out in early morning and evening. We plan on walking to restaurants from Jensen's most evenings and have concerns about getting bitten badly . Do they tend to gather closer to the water and is it certain time's of the year they are bad ? Is it best to pack bug spray ? Any suggestions or tips to reassure me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Noseeums

No see ums are a tiny, tiny speck of a bug, thus the name! They are literally the size of a pin head. You cant see them and you don't know if they are around until you feel one!

No see ums like to hang out near thick vegetation and areas with standing water. They tend to come out in full force between dusk and dawn, and they especially like to hang out bayside of the Island.

A nice breeze will keep them at bay, the Gulf usually has enough of a breeze coming off of it to keep them away from the beach. A ceiling fan and citronella candles will keep them away from lanai's and a nice bug spray will keep them off of you!

I always recommend a product like OFF Deep Woods with a high concentration of DEET. This is the only thing that works for our family. Others have used Avon Skin So Soft, Cactus Juice or No See Um Repellent.

No See Ums are attracted to some humans more than others. My husband uses no protection and never gets bit, my kids and I use protection, we spray it on our clothing, rather than our skin and it keeps us bug free. No see ums are attracted to perfumes, hairsprays, strong smelling shampoos, scented deodorants, and the like, so we avoid using these products when on Island.

We only use spray when going out in evenings and when we are on the bayside exploring. You can pre-order spray, but you can find everything I mentioned at Bailey's grocery on Sanibel. The Captiva Island Store also carries a few products. If I am checking a bag on the airplane, I purchase my products ahead of time and bring them with me. If I have only a carry on, I wait to purchase due to TSA restrictions on liquids.

Here's and article that explains the no see ums in detail:

boyslife.org/outdoors/…

Here are links to the repellents:

https://www.cactusjuicetm.com/

amazon.com/No-No-See-Um-Insect-Repellent-4oz…

amazon.com/Avon-Skin-Guard-Expedition-Spray/…

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Noseeums

Thanks for your detailed response bean3 and taking the time to post . Now we are aware and can prepare appropriately.

STL
Level Contributor
260 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Noseeums

Excellent post Bean! and great advice!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Noseeums

Only thing to add to Bean's contribution. If you react with welts from noseeum bites, Claritin or Zyrtec taken before and daily really helps my wife and daughter who are sensitive.

If I remember correctly, your staying at Jensen's on the beach. The nice breeze should help blow those suckers away.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Noseeums

Thanks for adding your comment regarding the Claritin Rojamg as I will pack some and keeping my fingers and toes crossed it won't be needed. Yes we are staying at Jensen's....a bit worried when we want to capture those beautiful sun set pic's and walking to restaurants in the evenings. I honestly had no idea about these tiny little bugs and hopefully they won't interfere with our wonderful trip. I am so appreciative of all the suggestions and comments so we can be prepared .

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Noseeums

You're welcome! I want to stress that with a little precaution, you can return home from your visit without a bite!

There is rather long thread on the Sanibel forum regarding no see ums. Lots of advice on remedies, homemade and otherwise. Be forewarned, it's a scary conversation!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34616-i231-k51328…

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Noseeums

And definitely need that bug spray the second the sun sets! We always use our spray when we watch the sun set. We also use our wine then too!

8. Re: Noseeums

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:04 pm, April 24, 2014
United States
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Noseeums

Caught by bean! Amazes me how people will use TA to advertise. I mean, really!!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Noseeums

Did you see it before it went poof? So obvious!