We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't wait for upcoming Captiva trip....

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
387 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Can't wait for upcoming Captiva trip....

Hello all,

Looking forward to a family summer trip to Captiva. I do have a few questions that I would greatly appreciate any help/advice if possible. First, I plan to surprise my wife with a spa appointment. We are staying at south seas. Should I use the South Seas spa or is there a better choice on Captiva/sanibel somewhere? Next, our trip will be 4 nights, and I assume since it is summer we should plan at least one rainy day( but sure hope not!) I have 2 grade school daughters with me. Is there anything to do on a rainy day or will we need to head back towards the mainland for the day? Lastly, I love to fish, and the kids love to swim and play on the beach. Is there any recommended place we can go where I can fish and the kids can swim? I am sure the whole southseas property might serve for this, but it is solarge, I am simply not sure where to begin! Thanks a million ahead of time!

Larry

NY
Level Contributor
387 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Can't wait for upcoming Captiva trip....

Ah yes, will absolutely use bug spray, off wipes, and whatever it's takes to keep the no seeums off of us! Great idea with the citronella candle on the lanai. For night fishing I will wear jeans tucked into socks with windbreaker, but love the idea of wiping neck with off cloths. Also have found that those Off fans work well. I usually put them faceup on the ground on each side of me, and works well. between sunscreen and bug spray a good pre-bed shower is a must for the kids. Another thing that usually keeps the no seeums down is a decent breeze. Is it usually breezy in summer in Captiva or will the air be still? (of course I realize this is variable, but there are places like Aruba where it is always breezy!)

Thanks again, and I definitely have Doc Fords on the must do list. I sure hope the one in Captiva is open by the time we visit.

Larry

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Can't wait for upcoming Captiva trip....

We visit every summer and yes, you will find a nice Gulf breeze.

Our Northern friends can't figure out why we go to Florida in the summer. I tell them when it's 90 degrees up here, it's stagnant and HOT. When you are on an Island in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico with that nice breeze, it doesn't feel like 90!

We have only had to use bug repellent on Captiva in the evenings. One of my boys is very tasty and attracts the no see ums, he always has to have some protection once the sun starts to go down.

23. Re: Can't wait for upcoming Captiva trip....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 29, 2014