We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

manatees and local dining

pennslyvania
12 posts
Save Topic
manatees and local dining

Hi, I was wondering if there are any spots where you can see manatees other then ding darling, We are staying at the south seas resort and will be staying in the condos 2nd week in june. Also what dining is within walking distance to south seas, we are not a part of the resort we rented a pvt condo. What are any dining options not to miss. We will have a car. And what supermarkets are recommended we are 3 adult travelers. Thanks for any advice

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: manatees and local dining

Yes at the docks at Jensen's, McCarthy's and the Green Flash restaurant and also at the marina in South Seas.

Restaurants I'd suggest are mostly on Sanibel. Seems Doc Ford's on Captiva has a ways to go, so try the one on San-Cap road and Rabbit Rd on Sanibel. People love the Yucatan shrimp, fish tacos, buffalo shrimp, ribs and steak. At Santiva - the small area on Sanibel just over the bridge at Blind Pass connecting Sanibel and Captiva, is Sunset Grill, a good for dinner, but open B,L,D. I've just only had dinner there. Next door is the super casual bar with food, Lazy Flamingo. In a small beach hone on the beach side is the most gourmet restaurant on the island, Mad Hatter. Very expensive and good food and wine. All the way down toward the lighthouse end on the bay in the yacht club is Grandma Dot's, a small place that serves good grouper and key lime pie. I enjoy having lunch at Casa Ybel on West Gulf in the Thistle restaurant - an historic building with a Casablanca feel and great Gulf views, or poolside at their casual pool bar.

On Captiva is Old Captiva House at Tween Waters Inn. Great place for excellent food in an historic building with sunset views. The Green Flash at the south end of the village has decent food, but no atmosphere to speak of. Great views of the bay. In the village is RC Otter's OK for burgers and breakfast. Some people like Key Lime Bistro, but I never had a really good meal there.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: manatees and local dining

By the way, the only markets, other the small Captiva General Store, are on Sanibel. Jerry's and Bailey's both offer delivery and stocking for a fee. Jerry's is the larger of the two with more selection, but I like the in store bakery at Bailey's better. The deli at Jerry's is better and has a much larger selection of prepared foods. Both also sell beer, malt liquor, and wine/wine coolers. (the beer, etc, if in coolers). And both have a liquor store near.

If you are fussy and want specific brands, there's a large Publix just before the causeway in Ft Myers. It is cheaper and has more selection than the island stores.

If you're just staying a week, I'd have the stocking service and have everything in my rental when I arrive.

pennslyvania
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: manatees and local dining

Thank you for all of the info, I really would like to see manatees so im hoping Im lucky. We like to eat out for dinner so I will be taking your information to heart. Im going to look into the stocking service. I have never used that before and will have to look at the price but it is a good idea we are there for 10 days but I Iike to spend as much time enjoying the beach and ocean. Thank you for all of your help.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: manatees and local dining

This is great information about the delivery of food. I had no idea! Is the cost of the groceries the same as in their local store? Also, will this work if we are staying at a private home? We are staying at the Lazy Palm. Thanks for the information.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: manatees and local dining

Yes, you can get groceries delivered to a private home. The grocery prices are the same price as when you shop in the store.

At Bailey's , delivery is $25. and the charge to shop is $10

http://www.baileys-sanibel.com/

At Jerry's , delivery fee is $25 with no fee to shop:

jerrysfoods.com/sanibel-groceries-faq.aspx

6. Re: manatees and local dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 16, 2014