We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in September

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Accommodation in September

Hi All

We're heading for Captiva in September for the third time...first time with 2 toddlers (both under 3!!) We know September is a quiet time on the island but that doesn't bother us as we are spending time with "The Mouse" in Orlando before heading to Captiva.

I was searching for accommodation and there is loads of availability.

Should we hold off booking until nearer the time? Will there be late availability discounts if we wait till say late August?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in September

If you plan to stay in a private home or condo, I would book now to get the week you want. I would not leave that to chance. September rates are already discounted, so not sure you will get any better deal if you wait.

Once in a while, you will see an individual home reduce their rates further than the advertised off season rate, but those are few.

If you plan to stay at Tween Waters Inn or South Seas Resort, they are already running specials for bookings into September. Those rates will not likely be further discounted.

http://tween-waters.com/savings/

http://www.southseas.com/packages-en.html

If you were to stay on Sanibel, I would say you could wait to book. There are a lot fewer places to stay on Captiva and the competition for tourist dollars isn't as great.

Edited: 10:34 am, May 16, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in September

I kind of agree with bean, but will add, if you're flexible about where you stay, you can wait till June and check again. If the places you like are booking out, you might want to reserve something. If most are still open, wait till July. If there will be a discount, they'll be in June of July. Yes, last minute special occur and if you'll take a chance, then wait even longer. Not every owner will cut their rates even if the place is vacant. But no harm in politely asking is any discounts are available. The agencies usually know their owners and who is flexible and who isn't.

Like bean, I usually want a specific property, so I rent it to be sure it's mine. But flexibility and a willingness to accept alternatives can lead to some excellent buys.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in September

Thank you both for you're replies.

We are not fussy with where we can stay.Basic and clean would suffice. Its the ambiance and atmosphere of Captive we love,not the amenities and perks of any particular accommodation. However if there are bargains to be had by waiting,then it would be nice to wait to see if we could afford a 'nicer' property that normally would be outside our price range.

We would prefer to stay away from South Seas and to a lesser degree Tween Waters. On a quick inspection there were at least 10 properties available that would be suitable. We are mainly looking at the AMRC website. Is there any other website/agents we should be looking at?

Thanks again for your invaluable input

Edited: 8:09 pm, May 16, 2013
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in September

www.royalshell.com/vrmgr/category/caphome

www.royalshell.com/vrmgr/category/capcond

VIP has a few places as does Select Vacation Properties, but AMRC and Royal Shell are the two big ones. AMRC shows discounts. Royal Shell you have to ask. Actually, ask anyone and for late bookings you can usually get 10% at least.

Edited: 8:13 pm, May 16, 2013
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in September

I can tell you from a person who books last minute on Captiva every summer, there are not many further discounts to be had. Last summer ( off season ) I booked a private home with a wide open calendar from AMRC one week before our arrival. They would not allow us the flexibility to arrive on a day other than a Saturday even thought the home was vacant and they absolutely would not budge on the rental fee. I asked about a few homes in the same price range and was told that the rental fees would not be discounted.

Royal Shell is much less rigid with bookings and will offer that 10 percent to last minuted bookings, or for repeat renters.

You may also want to check out VRBO or HOME AWAY websites, lots of Captiva rentals to be found.

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in September

There's never any harm in asking Bean. Some homeowners will NOT discount and the agency would have to reduce their fee, something they won't do.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation in September

Thanks again for both of your valuable information.

I think what I will do is make a list of our 'Top Ten' options and keep a close eye on them. I am looking at the lower end of the market (two bedroom property) so I don't think there will be much of a saving to be made. There are so many options available for the time we are looking for, I don't think we will be left disappointed.

It just seems crazy that owners would prefer to leave their property empty rather than offer a last minute bargain to entice the customer to their property.

I will update here with my progress

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation in September

I agree with you, though I can also see a homeowners point of view. After management fees, linens, housekeeping, pool cleaning and utilities for the week, the owner has to weigh renting it out for little profit verses the wear and tear of having a renter in there.

Gahhhh, I sound like an owner! If only we had purchased that house we had our eye on a dozen or so years ago!

United States
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation in September

Captiva Shores has quite a few 2 bedroom units that are pretty reasonable. Both Royal Shell and AMRC rent a lot of them. They have a nice pool and are across the street from the beach, with several units having a great sunset view. It is also a very quiet part of the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Miami
Level Contributor
162 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation in September

Once again I will chime in with a recommendation to consider Sunset Captiva. For your needs, these units are a great bargain...they are individual homes, in a very conveniently laid out complex that has its own centrally located community center with swimming pool,barbecue and tennis courts. The houses are fully equipped including kitchens and have either 2 or 3 bedrooms. The entire area is very private and quiet, but the houses are all close to the beach if not beachfront. You can search on Royal Shell under Captiva Complexes and AMRC also rents out several units. Since your children are very young you might want to ask, some of the units have both bedrooms upstairs, adjacent to each other. Unit 17 has that layout, as I recall from staying there. Others have one bedroom upstairs, one down. The prices are very reasonable especially if you don't need to be directly beachfront (gulf front houses' cost is usually about double those not directly waterfront) and it attracts many families. You can search this forum for comments and reviews. I've stayed in several houses there and always been very pleased.

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL