We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

italian deli?

Brookville, Indiana
Level Contributor
51 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
italian deli?

I was wondering if there was a deli - one that offered italian style meats etc. on the island or close by. We used to visit my grandmother in Fort Myers and we always shopped at the italian market - but that was a long long time ago. Just trying to think ahead for easy lunches for my crew! Thanks

Madison, Indiana
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: italian deli?

ah, how I miss a good itlaian deli--having grown up in NY state in an Irish/Italian neighborhood, I've never found a great deli in the Midwest. However, both Jerry's and Bailey's, the two markets on Sanibel, have decent delis with a more general selection of meats and cheese. There's also a small selection at the Santiva store, on Sanibel just before you cross over to Captiva. If you really have to have italian sausages and cheese, you might want to see what Fort Myers' has now.

Brookville, Indiana
Level Contributor
51 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: italian deli?

Thank you - I did find Mario's Italian deli in Fort Myers. I need to see if it is on our path to the island.

We moved from the east coast to the midwest and a few yrs ago we moved our now 97yr old nona out here as well - and she can't seem to figure out why there are no shops with meats, breads, or cheeses. She's still cooking but is always ranting about not having a butcher!!! lol

Brookville, Indiana
Level Contributor
51 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: italian deli?

I'm looking to make some good muffalatta sanwhiches which require good rolls and olive salad as well as good italian meats and cheeses - do any of those deli's have those things that you know of???????

Ft Myers
Level Contributor
96 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: italian deli?

Mario's is the place to go for all things Italian, and only about 1 mile north on rt 41 from the intersection of Daniel's Parkway and Rt 41 where you would likely cross from the airport or I75.

Though not as large, but having what you need, A Touch of Italy can be found on your route, just 3/4 mile after crossing Rt 41 from Daniels,, when the name changes to Cypress Lake. Turn left at the second light once past Rt 41, then right at the first street.

www.italydeli.com

Madison, Indiana
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: italian deli?

Maybe someone will jump in and jog my memory of a relatively new restaurant on Sanibel's East End that advertises it carries specialized items for "foodies" including "beach lunch options." They may have some of the more exotic types of meat or cheeses. I looked up East End Deli but not sure that's the one.

Unfortunately, it's at the far east tip of Sanibel, about as far as you can get from Captiva--LOL

@Tourmaline, c'mon, you must know the place I'm referring to, don't you?

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: italian deli?

Are you thinking of Geppetto's Beach Foodies? Pinocchio's owns it, right next to the Ice Cream shop. We got salads from them and a Sanibel Blossom! Very good food, but it's a smaller place. Mostly prepared items, I don't think you can buy deli meats and cheeses from them, other than on a prepared sandwich.

I think the OP would be better off stopping in Fort Myers.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: italian deli?

Marios is fabulous and has wonderful homemade mozz. Its worth the stop. Really good sandwiches too.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: italian deli?

mmmmmmm.... muffalattas..... ( in my best homer simpson voice )

Brookville, Indiana
Level Contributor
51 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: italian deli?

Thanks everyone - I was hoping that Mario's wasn't out of the way as we come off of I75. We will stop in there on the way in and stock up for the week!

Madison, Indiana
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: italian deli?

Thanks, Bean,that was it! I thought of "Gepetto" but that seemed like a really random memory so I didn't think it was right. I never made the connection with "Pinocchio's" though now it seems obvious--LOL

This whole discussion is making me wish I could go to a good deli...it's been sooo many years.:(