We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amarelo Sol, Casablanca del Sol, Caspian or Ca d'mare

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Amarelo Sol, Casablanca del Sol, Caspian or Ca d'mare

Hello,

I was hoping someone here could offer some advice. We are two families travelling together next year during peak season. We're looking for a private house rental on Captiva. We would like a decent sized pool, enough beds for everyone (4 adults, 5 kids) and would prefer to be on a quieter street.

Based on availability and pricing, we have narrowed the choice to Amarelo Sol, Casablanca del sol (apprently a new build), Caspian or Ca d'mare.

I like the location of Amarelo Sol, but am concerned that there are no screens on the doors or around the pool - will no seeums, mosquitos or other bugs be an issue in March? As we'll need to use the guest house for sleeping, we'd either have to leave the door open or use the air conditioning (which we prefer not to use if it's cool at night).

Caspian seems big enough, but from the pics it looks like it might be a bit tired.

Ca d'mare looks nice but I wonder about the distance from the village and whether you can get a view of the beach from the roof deck.

Does anyone have experience with these properties? Which has a pool that would be best for a group of kids?

thanks in advance!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amarelo Sol, Casablanca del Sol, Caspian or Ca d'mare

Amarelo Sol has been recently updated and is located on Laika Lane. Quiet area, easy walk to the village. As you already know, the pool house apartment is part of the overall occupancy rate. Depending on the age of your kids, you might need to consider that the loft is counted as one of the bedrooms. When we have rented homes with loft sleeping areas, it was difficult for the kids to sleep while the adults were still awake.

Personally, I like to have a screened pool, but, screens don't keep out noseeums! They are very tiny little buggers and can get through screens!

Casablanca del Sol and Caspian are both on Wightman Lane, one street closer to Andy Rosse Lane, the "main street" on the Island. Still a pretty quiet location. Casablanca only has an occupancy limit of 8, so that might not be an option for you.

I have stayed in Caspian and while it is a large property, it is definitely in need of some updating. It's old school style, with older smaller bathrooms. The pool is more of a lap pool size, very narrow. The sleeping loft is counted in the occupancy and the laundry is on this floor as well. Not really enough seating in the living room for everyone to hang out.

Ca d'mare is on Chapin Lane, my favorite area to stay. It's just South of the village area, very quiet and easy walk to Andy Rosse. Again, counted in the occupancy limit is a ground level apartment. The house is pretty big and has lots of areas to hang out. The view of the gulf from the Captains walk will probably be slim, there is a lot of vegetation between the home and the Gulf there! This house is the closest to the beach of the four. It's a few houses down to the private beach entrance.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amarelo Sol, Casablanca del Sol, Caspian or Ca d'mare

Thanks so much. This is helpful. I think we're leaning towards the one on Caplin. Also just noticed Captiva House on Gore is available for our dates. Thoughts on those two?

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amarelo Sol, Casablanca del Sol, Caspian or Ca d'mare

All five of the bedrooms at Captiva House are in the same living space, I also think there are two or three master's there. The house is one street South of Chapin, still a very easy walk to the main village. The beach entrance is the same as for Ca d'mare. We stayed directly across the street from Captiva House last summer and were tempted to snatch a fresh lime from the gorgeous landscaping! The walk to the beach is a little bit longer than Ca d'mare, but really not a big deal.

The house is on the corner of Captiva Drive and Gore, Captiva Drive is the main road through the Island, so you might hear some street noise from there. I highly doubt that though, as we were in a one story ground level home there and heard nothing during our stay! The foliage really provides a nice buffer. I definitely think you can see both the bay from Captiva House, it's a a tall 3 story house AND it has an elevator!

Both homes are really large and well maintained, I don't think you can go wrong with either one!

Any more questions? Please ask, a lot of people around here that can help!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amarelo Sol, Casablanca del Sol, Caspian or Ca d'mare

Captiva House is quite large, larger than any other you named by a fair amount. About the only negative is it does sit on the corner of Captiva Rd and Gore Lane, and Captiva Rd is busy is season. However, Ca d'Mare is only 1 house in, so I doubt there's any significant difference in noise levels. (I have been told repeatedly I'm 'too sensitive' to noise, but I live on a dead end street out in the country and it's REALLY quiet.)

Both are nice homes.

5. Re: Amarelo Sol, Casablanca del Sol, Caspian or Ca d'mare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 06, 2014