We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Tide

Wooster, Ohio
7 posts
Save Topic
Red Tide

I am reading reports of bad red tide in Sanibel.

How are the conidtions in Captiva ?

We arrive at Tween Waters tomorrow

New York
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Red Tide

I will echo the last poster. Arrived yesterday on captiva. Lots of dead fish. Wife and I experiencing occasional coughing. It's a dry cough but not terrible. More bummed about the weather so far and the short term forecast.

Chapel Hill NC
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Red Tide

Any updates today? We are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, but still can cancel.

Fort Myers, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Red Tide

I work out here, red tide has been awful and is continuing to get worse. Dead fish, (baitfish and gamefish) a friend of ours was working to clean up the fish and bagged up a 105 lb dead grouper yesterday along with 100 bags of other dead fish around the island. Contact the City of Sanibel also, not Captiva but they can give you a good idea of how the conditions are. Talk to Holly with Natural Resources. I am very sensitive to the respiratory issues that come with it and I have had some problems that are getting increasingly worse. This weekend is supposed to be chilly (45-67) and I don't see the red tide going away any time soon. Hope this helps. :( Sorry about your trip.

Fort Myers, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Red Tide

https:/…322277051815

They also have recent updates as well, including pictures.

New York
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Red Tide

Today was much better weather wise than predicted. We spent hours on the beach, which had been cleaned of any dead fish earlier today. By sunset, there were a few more fish on the sand but we were not as affected by coughing as yesterday. I really don't know if its getting better and how the tide might be affecting others but I will say that today was a very pleasant day on Captiva. Colder weather coming over the next few days.

golden valley
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Red Tide

It is recommended for the elderly to stay indoors with the air conditioning running. The air can be very toxic especially for anyone with diminished lung capacity. Most healthy people shouldn't have terrible problems, I get an annoying cough but it doesn't slow me down. Keeping your accommodations closed will be a welcome relief and I wouldn't take any chances with your grandmother, just be smart and limit her exposure. I hope you can still enjoy the islands :)

17. Re: Red Tide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 03, 2014