We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Prices - delivered

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery Prices - delivered

I'm thinking about having one of the local grocery stores deliver our groceries for our visit in February. Can anyone tell me if they've used this service personally and if you have a preference? Also, how did the prices compare to Publix or Walmart? There will be 7 of us there for a week. Thanks!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Prices - delivered

The prices at Jerry's and Bailey's are higher than Publix and Walmart by about 20-25% and there is a delivery fee. There are 2 main reasons, the location of the stores mean higher overhead (their staff is paid more due to commuting costs, insurance is higher, as are taxes, etc) and the fact that both are small, independent stores, not national chains, so no volume discounts. The permanent population on Sanibel is under 6,000 people and on Captiva under 500, so despite the seasonal increase, they real don't sell enough of anything to make significant bargaining power with suppliers. Supply lines are longer too, so every step adds a bit more to the price.

Basically,you're deciding is your time is worth more than the higher cost. Let me put it this way, what is an extra half day at the beach worth to you? If eliminating the hassle and adding time to your vacation is worth the added cost, do it. If price is your over-riding concern, then by all means shop at Walmart or Publix before coming on island, BUT be very careful about frozen food.

While I live in a major metro area, my town huge and has a small population in a rural area. My local A&P has prices very similar to those at Jerry's and Bailey's, so it isn't sticker shock for me. I can drive about 15 miles and get far better pricing, but frankly, it just doesn't pay me to do so because I don't buy for a family. For others who live in more competitive markets, especially with lots of kids, it is a big difference.

You could split the difference. If you'll mostly be having drinks (sports drinks, soda, bottled water) and breakfast in, buy them at a Publix or walmart (along with toilet paper, detergent, etc) where you'll save a lot of money, then get the perishables and other things delivered.

Since I generally stay 3-4 weeks, I shop on island after arrival. If I stayed 1 week, I'd use the delivery service. Years ago, when I had more folks with me, I'd stop at Walmart. I did that twice and decided I'd rather pay more and avoid the zoo that's Walmart. A very personal decision.

If you do buy off island before check-in, please make sure everything will keep for at least 1 hour. It takes time to reach the islands and check-in, especially up on Captiva.

Just be sure to get what you need before you hit Captiva. Prices on Captiva at the small General Store are staggering.

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Prices - delivered

Thank you for the feedback - great points all around! I hadn't even thought about how we would keep things cold...and I completely agree about the benefits of avoiding the Walmart zoo if possible. I think we'll be stopping at Walmart for TP, detergent, etc & have the perishables delivered. Thanks again!

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Prices - delivered

You could also use a cooler with a bag of ice for the cold items

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Prices - delivered

I'd rather not buy a cooler for one week, plus we'll be packed into our rental vehicle as it is.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Prices - delivered

You can get those styrofoam coolers for a couple of dollars... My Dad used to use one on all his regular grocery trips

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
295 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Prices - delivered

We have had groceries delivered and it is heaven -- they have everything not only delivered, but put away and the bags stowed. Nothing better than actually starting your vacation with the drinks already cold in the refrigerator when you walk in! I sent a list to Jerry's, and specified what brands I wanted -- and when I didn't have a preference, I just said, "cheapest." They did an awesome job. Shopping on-island can be fun, too, because of the parrots at Jerry's and the array of things available at both local groceries. The last time we stopped at Wal Mart on our way in I was in tears by the time we left -- too crowded, too hot, and frustrating because we still couldn't find what we wanted. Not worth the savings -- if we actually did save anything, given the large quantities you have to buy there.

Another thing to consider, besides keeping things cold, is whether you will have room in the rental. We drive 14 hours to get to Captiva, and are packed to the brim. We have had to hold groceries on our laps from Ft. Myers when we stopped there, and that made everyone extra-cranky the last hour in. For me, it's worth the extra dollars for either delivery or on-island shopping.

7. Re: Grocery Prices - delivered

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 01, 2014