We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Seas Resort initial inquiry

Louisville
Level Contributor
377 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
South Seas Resort initial inquiry

Hello, first time on this forum but big fan of TA! My wife and I, along with 12yo daughter and a friend of hers, are looking at a trip to SSR in mid July. We have been twice before, both in Plantation Beach club area, 7 years ago and 15 years ago, and loved it. We are now looking at a 2 bedroom, either marina village or beach village (marina is a bit cheaper). What are the pros and cons of each in terms of size, condition, proximity to facilities, and convenience? We will be spending most of our time at beach and at pools (new pool with water slides is open, correct?), probably taking a day to go to Ding Darling and maybe a day to shop (for my wife and the girls, anyway). We will probably have a rental car as well...is there anything else the experts need to know?

Thanks in advance for help, probably more questions to follow!

Ft Myers
Level Contributor
96 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Seas Resort initial inquiry

We could have recommended some great owner rented Marina or Beach Villa units, but with the expensive $75 per person per day fee to use the resort main pool and other amenities, we suggest renting directly from the resort - though at higher rates. Remember, PBC is a time share, so they do come with resort amenities, but finding one available your week may be a problem.

Louisville
Level Contributor
377 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Seas Resort initial inquiry

Appreciate this, but have looked directly through the resort and our feasible choices are either marina village or beach village 2 BR, so am looking for general pros and cons regarding location, proximity to amenities, condition, layout, etc. per email above. PBC was never in the mix. Thanks again!

Louisville
Level Contributor
377 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Seas Resort initial inquiry

I'm gonna bump this in the hope that someone can help me out...thanks

Kinnelon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Seas Resort initial inquiry

Hi! My family and I have stayed in both a marina villa and a beach villa that we rented through the resort. The pros of the beach villas are that they are on the beach and have beautiful views of the gulf and sunsets, as well having laundry facilities in lower level of building and elevators! (my kids loved taking them independently) We also could use any of the neighboring villas' pools and/or north end pools. The beach villas are also walking distance to the fitness center, Starbucks, some shops and bar-b-que restaurant and closer to village area of Captiva. The con was that you have to drive, take the trolley or ride your bike to the north end pool area, activities and restaurants, which was not a big deal. (again, my daughters loved meeting up with us by riding their bikes to the north end) The pros of the marina villas are the nice view of the marina and ability to walk to the north end pool area, restaurants and ice cream shop. Out back there is a nice, small pool looking toward some mangroves, with lots of birds to watch. Cons for the marina villas are that you are not on the beach. You would have to walk past the marina, cross the road and walk up a path to get to the beach. The laundry facilities are in the building next to the pool and there are no elevators in villas. Both types of units are individually decorated and in the past I have asked to be switched to another unit, which wasn't ever an issue. I feel the beach villas had a bit more natural light , were a bit more spacious and had an awesome view but the marina villa felt quieter and more intimate and had more wildlife viewing. It really depends what you prefer and what you'd like your family to be closer to. Hope this info. helps!

Louisville
Level Contributor
377 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Seas Resort initial inquiry

Thanks so much for this, it is just the type of info I was looking for...I assume the fancy pool with the slides is at the north end pools complex? With wife and

12 yo daughter, who is bringing a friend (so 2 twelve year old girls!), I am thinking the combo of more activities, nature viewing, restaurants is more important than being actually on the beach and the solitude. I know we can get to beach from marina villas pretty easily, and since I doubt we will spend all day every day on the beach, I am thinking they might suit us a bit better. Plus, they are a tiny bit cheaper! Thanks and I certainly welcome any comments or opinions...

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Seas Resort initial inquiry

Just in case you haven't seen this, here's a map of SSR with the layout of the resort accommodations and activities:

http://www.southseas.com/map/

The newer Lagoon pool complex with the H2Whoa kids pool is located at the very Northern point of the resort. (marked on the map as The Pointe) So closer to the Marina Villas. Remember, SSR has a Trolley system for guest that can take you all over the resort, so no matter where you stay, you are only a short trolley ride away from activities.

Check out the Nature Center at the resort, they have tours and talks that the kids might be interested in:

southseas.com/resort_experience/nature.cfm

michigan
Level Contributor
754 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Seas Resort initial inquiry

It is a hike to the main pool from the Marina Village...you might think about renting bikes for your group.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
35 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Seas Resort initial inquiry

Unless you never want to leave the beach house... Stay on Captiva or Sanibel. North Capiva (I am here now) never recovered from Hurricane Charley (2010). Other than water taxi/ air there is no connection to another island. You can get a water taxi from North Captiva to Pine Island for $25/per person or rent a boat for $225 to go to Captiva. 3 awful restaurants that are borderline shacks. No coffee shops or bars. Poor customer service. Grocery store is smaller than most bedrooms (20' x 20'). Also- Winn Dixie and Publix no longer deliver to North Captiva.

9. Re: South Seas Resort initial inquiry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:40 am, June 18, 2013