We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SSR - Biking

Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
SSR - Biking

I will have a 6 year old that is just getting good at riding a bike without training wheels. Are there safe biking trails within the resort?

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SSR - Biking

I don't think so - just the usual sidewalks.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SSR - Biking

I agree with sunny. When we were there last year everyone we saw was riding on the road. Even with the small amount of traffic that's around it's not ideal for a little one.

Edited: 3:20 pm, March 14, 2012
Chicago
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SSR - Biking

I don't know about the sidewalk situation at SSR but if I had a 6 year old with me on Captiva I wouldn't let them bike through the village. The lanes are narrow and curvy and there is very little space for people to walk or bike. Your best bet for biking is on Sanibel with all of their great bike trails and paths. My husband & I are always very careful when we walk from our rental house to the restaurants and shops on Captiva.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SSR - Biking

There are no dedicated bike trails within the resort. Plantation Drive is a narrow winding two lane road with a 3 foot wide paved brim on each side for walking and riding. This road is shared with cars, trolleys, and commecial vehicles. The speed limit of 19 MPH ( 15 MPH plus gratuity ;-) ) is slow and strictly enforced which is good, but I wouldn't recommend unleashing a 6 year old on SSIR roads.

Suggest a side trip to Sanibel for bike riding. Miles of dedicated bike paths.

5. Re: SSR - Biking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:42 am, June 18, 2013