We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Seas Resort or Casa Ybel

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
289 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
South Seas Resort or Casa Ybel

We are trying to choose between a one bedroom beach villa at SSR or a one bedroom suite at Casa Ybel in late April 2012.

Does anyone have any idea which unit is likely to be larger and or better maintained?

In which would we likely to be closest to the ocean? Would we be able to hear the waves lapping the beach at night at either one?

Which place has the nicest/longest beach for a stroll?

I read about manatees at SSR. Would we be likely to see manatees at SSR if we stayed there? If we stayed at Casa Ybel, could we visit SSR to see the manatees?

Which one is likely to have less young children?

Is Casa Ybel within walking distance of enough restaurants or shops to make its central island location an advantage? We will have a car so we can drive from SSR.

What other pros and cons matter?

Missouri
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: South Seas Resort or Casa Ybel

You might want to post this over on the Sanibel forum. There is not a lot of traffic on this one. Seeing Manatees on the gulf side is pretty much hit or miss on either island but on Captiva you can almost always find a few at Jensens Marina on the bay side. You can see dolphins regularly. Both islands have long beaches to stroll. I think Captiva's beaches are less crowded simply because there are fewer access points. Crowded is a relative term however and Sanibel's beaches are not crowded at all compared to most Florida beaches.

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
289 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Seas Resort or Casa Ybel

Thanks. I'm leaning toward Casa Ybel but hoped to have a chance to see manatee without having to deal with South Seas Island Resort. The more I read about it, the less appealing it becomes, with its traffic and parking issues, extra fees, etc.

Missouri
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: South Seas Resort or Casa Ybel

I don't know if you're dead set on staying at a resort or what your budget is but you might want to check into renting a house on Captiva. If you rent one close to the village area everything is within walking distance. Try AMRC's website to get an idea of prices.

www.captiva-island.com/amrc/rentals.htm

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
289 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Seas Resort or Casa Ybel

Thanks for the tips about where to see manatees and the suggestion about renting a house.

We will consider renting a house, but if my girlfriend's brother and wife find out we have two bedrooms (or more), they'll expect us to invite them for a few days.

Missouri
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: South Seas Resort or Casa Ybel

if my girlfriend's brother and wife find out we have two bedrooms (or more), they'll expect us to invite them for a few days.

Been there - done that..........still it's hard to beat a Captiva house on the beach for pure relaxation. When we have guests we make sure everyone understands that they are on their own. We end up together on the beach a lot of the time but we stress there are no mandatory group activities.

Edited: 6:29 pm, October 05, 2011
6. Re: South Seas Resort or Casa Ybel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, October 25, 2012