We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

captiva - pass-a-grille or somewhere else ???

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Topic
captiva - pass-a-grille or somewhere else ???

We visited Captiva last Oct and fell in love with it.

We were thinking of going to Pass-a-Grille this June.

How will the 2 compare ?

Can anyone recommend one over the other - or maybe somewhere else that has that laid back island feel.

Thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,227 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: captiva - pass-a-grille or somewhere else ???

Passe a Grille is good. Nice. Great even. But I don't think it will equate with Captiva.

To me Cap has a much higher end feel, while still feeling relaxed. But there is nothing wrong really with PaG.

I guess it will depend on price and proximity. PAG will be most likely cheaper and will be closer to a lot of things. Such as TPA, Ft DeSoto Park, lots of diff beaches and their area amenties from Mini golf to shops and parks and restaurants etc.

Captiva is out there, and you have to drive past Sanibel and go over a bridge ($6 toll RT) to get anywhere. But what it lacks in closeness and price, it makes up for in 'island feel'.

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: captiva - pass-a-grille or somewhere else ???

Thanks...yes we loved the "feel" of Captiva and have problem going back. It's just that we like trying different things if possible.

We stayed at Tween Waters Inn and LOVED it !!

Can you recommend any similar places ar PaG ?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,227 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: captiva - pass-a-grille or somewhere else ???

No. but you should look at Sanibel or Anna Maria island?

There might be places like that in PAG but I haven't heard. Ask on the st pete beach forum?

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: captiva - pass-a-grille or somewhere else ???

Thanks....I will.

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: captiva - pass-a-grille or somewhere else ???

I have been to both places. Captiva Island is very chill...Pass A Grille is nice for a daytrip, but it doesn't really have the same vibe as Captiva.

If you want to try a new area, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea is pretty laid back if you stay on the beach side of the street. Don't stay too close to Commercial Blvd because that is where the restaurants and bars are. A few blocks away from Commercial and you will be fine...

Good luck and have fun!

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: captiva - pass-a-grille or somewhere else ???

Haven't heard of that....but I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: captiva - pass-a-grille or somewhere else ???

We stayed at LBTS last year and thought it was great. Restaurants an easy walk and not much high rise. It has a small town feel but is minutes from Fort Lauderdale. There's even a local bus if you don't want to drive. It also has a great beach. It is the Atlantic though and not the Gulf.

Having just returned from Captiva I have to say we loved both places but it doesn't have the island feel (obviously!) or the layed back tropical feel. We would return to either so it just depends what you're looking for.

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: captiva - pass-a-grille or somewhere else ???

Thanks once again.

Living 15 min from the Atlantic & Long Island Sound....it's not the beach per se that we're looking for. It's the more laid back island feel.

I think it's looking like Captiva. Although we do like to see different places, why mess with a good thing ???

Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: captiva - pass-a-grille or somewhere else ???

Captiva IS pretty awesome...hard to duplicate. Like you said, why mess with a good thing? We are actually going back again as well for a short trip Memorial Day weekend. Have fun on your trip in June!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,227 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: captiva - pass-a-grille or somewhere else ???

I still say, Captiva Is superb. But Sanibel next door and even more so Anna Maria Island could float your boat as they have the 'island' feel.

AMI is very good, as the beach is fine white powder sugar sand (not many shells, sorry but we like it that way) and has the most beach front restaurants of any low developed island I have been to in florida. Beach front toes in the sand restaurants are surprisingly few and far between in FL and there are more in AMi than most other places.