We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So excited about coming to Captiva

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
So excited about coming to Captiva

We will be coming to Captive in early December and I have read almost everything on this site. We will be staying at Tween Rivers and although some of the feedback has been negative, some have been great. I do have a question about the weather. I realize it can go either way, but we have not been in Florida this time of the year. I also would like to know if the bugs are as much problem in the winter. I can hardly wait and want to take some fantastic pictures of the ocean.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: So excited about coming to Captiva

I really hate to waffle on this as usually cold weather kills the stupid, vicious no-see-ums off, but One very chilly December I got the WORST bites of any trip here walking the beach for shells. There was a storms and the beach was full of wet detritus and THAT was full of the no-see-ums. Boy was I miserable. It really depends as much on the amount of rain as anything. And yes, the weather can easily go either way. Remember, the Luminaria will be Friday Dec 7 and on Captiva on Dec 8.

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So excited about coming to Captiva

Thank you so much for your answer. I have learned a lot from reading your posts. When we travel somewhere new I like to learn as much as I can before we go and this forum has been a wealth of information. Is there any protect which will protect you from these insect bites? It sounds like the chiggers we have in Illinois which really like me. The luminaria sounds interesting. I didn't see anything on a calendar of events on their paper for those dates, but maybe it is too early for them to have them on. I am really interested in the history behind Tween Waters and particularly Anne Morrow Lindeberg.

Thanks again for your reply. We will just have to take our chances in December and see how cold it can really get.

3. Re: So excited about coming to Captiva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, September 12, 2009