We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kayaking trips - sanibel

kansas
6 posts
Save Topic
kayaking trips - sanibel

My family will be vacationing in Sanibel the first week in July. We would like to take a Kayaking day trip. We won't have young children with us. What would you suggest?

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: kayaking trips - sanibel

Not a kayaking fan, but there are several things you can do. First is the marked trail thru Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge. You can do that with kayak or canoe rentals from Tarpon Bay Explorers at the end of Tarpon Bay Rd.

The second is Taking a kayak from Captiva Canoe and Kayak in the village at McCarthy's and going south along the shore to Buck Key. This island sits just east of Captiva and is a protected spot with no development. It is nicest in the fall and winter when it's nesting season.

Neither is a full day, just a few hours.

There are lots of motorized boats in the sound, so the rest depends on how comfortable you are dealing with not always observant boaters. The sound has many options and is very large. There is a pass at the north end of Captiva [Redfish Pass] that will take you to the Gulf. The next island up is North Captiva. The south end is largely undeveloped and a good stop.

Ask where you rent your kayak. They will provide lots of info. There are lots of little islands all over bayside. Regardless, I'd head north and aim for one of the places in the sound. Be sure to check on the tide times. The passes can get choppy - and there are quite a few of them.

If you rent at Tarpon Bay, you can paddle up to Captiva after doing Ding Darling. There are a number of marinas on Captiva where you should be able to put in and grab lunch. Also Castaways at Blind Pass - but Blind Pass, the cut between Sanibel and Captiva, is closed with sand and you can't get to the Gulf from there. You can continue up to Red Fish Pass and go to the Gulf, but if you plan to go back along the Gulf keep in mind the problem at Blind Pass if the water turns choppy.

In summer, I'd plan to be off the water late afternoon. Thunderstorms are a near daily occurrence.

Rockledge, FL
Level Contributor
29 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kayaking trips - sanibel

We took a half day canoe/kayak tour at Tarpon Bay that was guided. Our guide was great, and pointed out the interesting sites. Even as a near life-long Floridian and outdoorsman I learned alot. At one point, he dipped a big bucket into the shallow waters and took a few moments to identify all the tiny critters that call the bay "home". (Sea horses, juvenile snook, crabs, shrimp..etc) to point out how critical the estuaries, flats and mangrove hmmocks are to the ecosystem of hte area . It would be a great treat for kids of the right age to appreciate it, and a nice easy paddle..

Whitehouse Station...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: kayaking trips - sanibel

We are taking my family to Captiva in Aug. I have 3 boys, 9, 6 and 4. I wanted to do a kayak tour with them. Do you see a problem with a family of 5 and my sons at these ages? Do we need to have an adult in a kayak with each child? I think it is something they would enjoy so I hope it's a possibility. Thanks. Nina

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: kayaking trips - sanibel

Call and ask the folks at Captiva Canoe and Kayak at 877-EZ Kayak They will know best.

5. Re: kayaking trips - sanibel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, September 02, 2009