We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another "Thumbs Up" for South Seas Resort

Which Captiva Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
4 posts
Save Topic
Another "Thumbs Up" for South Seas Resort

Recently returned from 5 days at SSR.

Stayed in the Beach Villas at south end of property. Has a great stay. Two bedroom suite was well appointed (although a little short on cooking utensils. We were in the 3rd (highest floor) with a fabulous view of the beach and gulf.

Spent most of our "sun time" on the beach at the south end of the property and really enjoyed it. (There are two "smaller" pools associated with the Beach Villas which looked fine but we are "beach people"). Only slight evidence of "red tide" on a couple of days. Even then it did not cause any problems with enjoying the beach/water.

No noticeable construction at the south end. Some at the far north end condos (near the big pools) I noticed while playing the 9 hole executive golf course. Didn't sem too bad though.

New pool area and surroundings looked fabulous and appeared to be well used by many happy guests. Bar and food service around the pool also looked active.

Coulpe of other comments:

General level of service- OK but not great. Still working out some "kinks" I would guess. We asked for additional hangers for our closet that were never delivered. Daily maid service was fine.

Property logistics- Shuttle service runs very frequently. Easy to get around on it. FYI, from the south end of the resort its closer to go into Captiva main street (for food or meals) than it is to go to the north end of the resort where the convenience store and harborside restaurant is.

Harborside Restaurant- Nice view. Had dinner there one night. I agree with price and mediocore.

Captiva Generally- Loved it! Small town, laid back feel. Real "old Florida" feel at places like Jensen's Marina where we rented a boat for the afternoon for fishing/beaching.

Captiva Restaurant Comments

Mucky Duck- Outside by the beach for a beer in the afternoon was fine. Otherwise I'd pass.

Key Lime Bistro- Good. Nice menu, busy/fun place.

Sunshine Cafe and Wine Bar- Very nice. Second best meal. Good service.

Mad Hatter (Sanibel)- This restaurant is about 3miles from SSR and just on to Sanibel from Captiva. Great setting, wonderful food and service. A little more "fine dining" than typical for this area. Easily our favorite restaurant of our stay.

Overall: SSR was perfectly fine. Some minor kinks still being worked out but we would definitely stay again. The great setting out weighed any small inconveniences that I'm sure will continue to reduce over time.

Also, very positive on Captiva as a location.

Regards,

BigBill from Boston

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another "Thumbs Up" for South Seas Resort

Thanks so much- we are staying in 2- 3 BR beach villas Sunday to Friday- we have a reservation w/out kids at Mad Hatter- glad to hear it was great!!! what about a store for drinks/ beer, cereal- Is there one in the village ? How long from airport? I read that starbucks in village has pizza- is there any other casual place for takeout for the kids the night we go to Mad Hatter= preferably very close to SSR- to avoid traffic-

Are there beach chairs for rent near the villas-

How was the golf?

Thanks again!!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Another "Thumbs Up" for South Seas Resort

Whew! I am so glad the Mad Hatter is still good! I keep recommending it but was getting a bit worried. And that's so much for the South Seas report.

Boston
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another "Thumbs Up" for South Seas Resort

Regarding HLSESS questions-

Grocery Store- There's a grocery store/liquor store in Captiva village which is 1/4 mile from Beach Villas (much closer than going to the SSR convenience store which is a the far north end of the property). That being said, you'd save some money by getting stuff you know you'll want in the larger supermarkets in Ft Myers before crossing the Causway.

Travel time from airport- 1hr and 15 minutes. About 1/2 on mainland and 1/2 from Causway through Sanibel and to Captiva.

Golf- Beautiful course in first class condition that gets little play unless there's an outing from a corporate meeting on the property. 9 holes...all par 3's.

Beach Chairs- Not a problem furnished by the resort (along with umbrellas) on the beach right in front of the Beach Villas.

Pizza/kid dinner place- Don't know, didn't have kids with us. RC Otters and Key Lime Bistro both looked "kid friendly". Likely a wait at either unless you go early B4 6pm

Regards,

BigBill

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another "Thumbs Up" for South Seas Resort

thanks- loooking forward to it-

5. Re: Another "Thumbs Up" for South Seas Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, August 28, 2009