We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

for Tourmaline ~ Captiva/ FMB trip advise

Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
for Tourmaline ~ Captiva/ FMB trip advise

Hi there ~ We are planning a trip in May and need a little input.

Original plans.....travel Sunday before Memorial Day, return home Sunday of Memorial day weekend. Planned 3 nights at Jensens

Gulfside...Honeymoon (its not :)) or On the Beach than rest of trip move to Fort Myers Beach.

Dilema......Jensens wants a 4 night stay. Is 4 nights too long on Captiva? Don't want to feel...."been there done that."

Is 3 nights on FMB too short, just enough?

Love beach time, but just cannot lay in the sun all day like I used to.

Need to be able to wander around a bit.

Looking for nice beach time with some little day trips, Cabbage Key,

Sanibel etc and some night time fun. Nothing big (like in Key West, action all of the time) but some night life until at last midnight or so, guy with a guitar on a stool and cocktails. Very much like being able to walk places....Green Flash, Mucky Duck seem to fit this if I am correct. Don't want to be where everything closes up at 9.

What is FMB like at that time of the year/ Memorial Day weekend? BF was there in August and he said it was very quiet...2 bars open. I would think May would be busier?

He was at Diamondhead and liked it. Thinking of staying there or Casa Playa....any comments appreciated.

Guess I thought the original plan was good. 3 days of nice and mellow at Captiva, move to FMB for a little more of the weekend action/fun. He likes bigger hotels, I like small places. Trying to balance it all!

We could add on a day and go home on Memorial Day but its nice to have that extra day when you get home to.

Had also thought about staying at Tween Waters but liked that Jensens was on the water and within walking distance to some places to eat/drink. Also heard Tween Waters rooms were a bit run down.

Thanks for any input, comments and direction from anyone!

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Green Flash
Green Flash
1,639 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: for Tourmaline ~ Captiva/ FMB trip advise

It really all depends on what you like. Captiva is about as quiet as FL gets short of islands with boat access only. There is a little live entertainment in the village within walking distance of Jensen's, as you noted, and NASCRAB races at Tween Waters - walking distance in the opposite direction. You can rent canoes and Kayaks and paddle around the Sound and Buck Key, drive about 25 minutes to Sanibel and do the shops, Ding Darling Wild Sanctuary and Baily Matthews Shell Museum. In Captiva you'll have really easy access to Captiva Cruises [they be moving back to South Seas Marina soon]. The SUnet Cruise with music by Danny Morgan is always fun. YOLO Watersports offers parasailing. So I stay on Captiva for 3 weeks and I'm never bored, but all I need for entertainment is a good book. :-) For me, 4 nights would be too short! lol I think Jensen's is an excellent choice if you don't need a pool.

FMB is more lively with a lot of busy bars and such but lacks the 'tropical island' feel of Sanibel and Captiva. Lover's Key State Park offers many of the same water activities available on Sanibel and Captiva. I don't know anything about the lodging choices there as I kind of avoid FMB. Its too busy and kind of tacky in places.

Now both Captiva and FMB get pretty quiet in August/September. Places take vacations and close since FL schools open rather early and many out of state visitors start getting ready for school, so no, neither is as lively as usual then. May, however, is still moderately busy, and Memorial Day sees lots of locals heading to these places. I think you'll find FMB fairly busy - and VERY busy compared to Captiva.

Be sure and try Doc Ford's on Sanibel for lunch or dinner. Old Captiva House at Tween Waters has good food and Mad Hatter Restaurant [reservations usually needed because its so small] is a favorite of mine, but is for sale, so I don't know how things are now. Nice upscale place with a rare beach view. Be sure to have the Ice Cream Brownie Sundae at Mucky Duck.

Mentioned in this post
NASCRAB
NASCRAB
179 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
Captiva Cruises
Captiva Cruises
824 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
YOLO Watersports
YOLO Watersports
235 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
Old Captiva House
Old Captiva House
837 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
2. Re: for Tourmaline ~ Captiva/ FMB trip advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 26, 2009