We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malibu Condo Beware

Which New Smyrna Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Malibu Condo Beware

My family of six spent March Break(13th-20th) at the condo complex called Malibu Condo, on S. Atlantic Ave. The condo was rented through VRBO. It was a gorgeous condo, well decorated and very comfortable, exactly as the pictures showed on the website.

HOWEVER....it is a very poorly run building with no onsite management office. When we arrived, the pool was freezing, and we had rented the condo based on the advertised 'heated pool'. We kept hoping the heat would be turned on, and finally on Monday called the condo owner. She needed to call the maintenance company, because she had no idea there was anything wrong with the pool. The maintenance company said the heat pump needed a part and had to order it, but there was no money in the condo fees to pay for it. We learned that the condo builder had gone bankrupt, and that there was no money for fixing things. The builder went bankrupt with only having sold 10 units, and the present owners were paying condo fees of $3000 per month! We also thought we were renting a condo in a quiet family oriented building, but that turned out not to be the case. There were two units rented to college students, who threw beer cans, cigarette butts and who knows what else into the pool, and hot tub. Monday morning, the hot tub was green. Every night of our stay there was loud partying. On Tuesday, I personally spoke with the maintenance company, complaining that the pool and hot tub had not been cleaned since we had arrived(4 days). They insisted the pool company had been out four times since Saturday to clean the pool and hot tub, however never are the two groups of people at the condo at the same time.

We loved New Smyrna Beach; ate at great restaurants, and thought the beach was fabulous! We will definitely come back here, just not to Malibu Condo, as if something breaks, it certainly won't be fixed.

FYI, we ran into a real estate salesperson, who was asking us about our perception of the condo, who told us the units originally sold for $800,000, and are now being sold for $399,000-$425,000.

Oh, and there is also a loud Tiki Bar beside the condo.

New Smyrna Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Malibu Condo Beware

I am the owner of the above mentioned condo at Malibu Condominium in New Smyrna Beach. I am taking the time to respond to this post, as it is always better for people to hear both sides of a story.

It is true that there is currently no "on-site management office. HOWEVER, their 24 hour telephone numbers are posted at the enterance of both elevators on each floor, including the lobby, parking garage and workout room A maintenace person is onsite every morning for a few hours and the pool service company is onsite three times a week. (Tues., Thur. and Sat.)

The first (of six) calls from this tenant came on Tuesday afternoon. Once I was made aware that pool heater was not working. I immediatly put a call into our management company and was told that one of the two pool heaters needed a part ordered, but the repair was on hold until we had the funds.

It is true that the builders of our condo had gone bankrupt (in 2008) and the 15 current owners (of 25 total units)have been supporting the building. Our condo fee's are above average, but with only five remaining units left to sell, our individual maintenance fee's should decrease significantly.

No units, in the building have ever been rented to college students. It is possible that these unwanted visitors may have come up from the beach after hours on Saturday night (pool service day). The pool may have been green on Monday as it's next schedual cleaning wasn't until Tuesday.

Even if there was load partying or music from the Tiki bar next door durning the busiest holiday week of the year, our renters would not have been able to hear it while inside the condo. The hurricane proof windows in our condo complex are 2 7/8" thick.

What this tenant didn't mention is, when they called on Tuesday afternoon, they were offered a full refund if they were to depart promply by 10a.m. the following morning. That would have been four free nights!!! They declined.

The good news is they did say they loved New Smyrna Beach, ate at great restaurants, thought the beach was fabulous and would definitely come back (maybe not to rthe Malibu Condo).

I hope whoever reads this will form their own opinion. Should anyone have any doubts or further questions about the area or our beautiful condo, please feel free to contact me at:

www.RentNewSmyrnaBeachCondo.com

or

(386) 402-4416

Sincerely,

Patricia Tomlinson

2. Re: Malibu Condo Beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 29, 2010
Get answers to your questions about New Smyrna Beach
More New Smyrna Beach Topics