We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Smyrna Beach/NOISE bummer

US
Level Contributor
135 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
New Smyrna Beach/NOISE bummer

Go another time, or bring your ear plugs and sound machines! Beach restoration closes access just north of Flagler Beach and NOISE from backup up beepers and earth moving equipment goes on every day, ALL day, and continues on thru the night, EVERY night. Even thru closed windows and doors it keeps you awake. Ongoing for at least 2 weeks and will continue on down the beach. Beaches are run by the federal government and they apparently have no restrictions on noise. Certainly takes away from any relaxation you might otherwise get from the sounds of the surf. Nevermind what it might be doing to the wildlife.

Mentioned in this post
Tonbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Smyrna Beach/NOISE bummer

Oh b***ery b***ery b****cks!

I am off to NSB next week - off to house hunt during the day.

Have you an average time that they stop at all?

Di

US
Level Contributor
135 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Smyrna Beach/NOISE bummer

they NEVER stopped once in over 2 weeks. (they go 24/7) and there is no indication they will for a long time. sounds like they will continue on down the entire beach. if you're a light sleeper, or want to relax around the pool, don't stay in that area of the beach. (just north of flagler park) oh, and they also have giant spot lights. another thing the wildlife must love..........good luck !!

nashville
Level Contributor
302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Smyrna Beach/NOISE bummer

Which direction are they working towards or moving

towards...from flagler? North or south?

So are they dragging in sand from out in the ocean or do you know?

US
Level Contributor
135 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Smyrna Beach/NOISE bummer

moving south. pumping from the inlet harbor. it is blackish, slippery and smells bad.......

US
Level Contributor
135 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Smyrna Beach/NOISE bummer

the water coming out of the pumps is black sludge, and smells like sewage.........

US
Level Contributor
135 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Smyrna Beach/NOISE bummer

check out my picture

beezlebub
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Smyrna Beach/NOISE bummer

They DO NOT go 24/7. I'm a lifeguard on the beach and I sit there and watch them all day. The heavy equipment is done by 6. The pumping never stops, but it is not that noisy unless you are right next to it. Just a reminder...There are 11 MILES of beach in NSB. Only 3 of them are being dredged, and only about a quarter of that is undergoing work at one time.

beezlebub
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Smyrna Beach/NOISE bummer

and its not sewage...it mud, and its gross. But it isn't toxic, and it will not hurt you nor the wildlife. They will be finished by turtle season, and in fact their eggs will finally be safe from the tide.

US
Level Contributor
135 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Smyrna Beach/NOISE bummer

the heavy equipment definately goes 24/7 and has for more than 2 weeks now. At night they put up huge spotlights so they can run 2 earthmoving machine with back up beepers. I can see and hear them all night from my condo. I don't know the content of the water/sand/mud, but it SMELLS like sewage, sulfur. You can look online at http://volusia.org/beach/closures.htm

for more info. they also show a picture with a web cam.

beezlebub
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Smyrna Beach/NOISE bummer

OK....I don't want to sound like the proverbial arbiter of NSB, but I feel I must elaborate on this situation. The condos...like the one you're staying in, are what caused this mess in the first place. The seawalls built by the condos, because they had to be RIGHT on the beach, prevented the natural movement of sand during storms, and instead of moving west, the sand level simply dropped; and now all of the beach front developments from Sapphire Rd to 21st Avenue are in danger of becoming artificial reefs. I would say, being the rash, unreasonable person that I am...let the condos fall! The ocean is hungry and wants to eat the condos and I feel personally that their remains would make a really nice seawall for the rest of us. But...you guys pay like a frillion dollars in property taxes each year so you should be protected...right? You want more sand right? I mean....I know that you can't get insured, but you would like to protect your investment yes? So..the sand is gone because the condos built too close...yet you don't like the noise of the earthmovers that are putting more sand there so you don't become Atlantis' tallest building. Sounds like the ultimate ironic conundrum. The only reason they are building that wall of sludge is to protect the concrete jungle that you are patronizing. And the wildlife? The condo developers and their investors wrote the book on the destruction of our wildlife, and now to protect their vestules of death and rampant destruction, the federal government will destroy more precious habitat in the name of appeasement. So, please, when you complain about noise remember why those machines are there. They are there because you came, you saw, and you conquered. This rant is over. For all of our visitors, there are an additonal 11 miles of pristine, unaffected beach for you to visit if you find this project dissagreeable. I hate the noise too, and could care less if the condos topple into the waves, but come hurrican season you'll be glad that sand is there!

Get answers to your questions about New Smyrna Beach
More New Smyrna Beach Topics