We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question for the locals please

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Topic
A question for the locals please

We stopped by NSB for awhile in June and there seemed to be only one outlet back to the main road from the beach. How many outlets are there? How is traffic handled if you are somewhat landlocked if a hurricane should come?

Thanks,

punz

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A question for the locals please

I'm more familiar with Gulf coast evacuations, but both sides of the state work the same. Fortunately hurricanes take their sweet time and are watched for days and days as they progress. Evacuations begin early if one appears to be a threat to the area...a couple of days early as city officials have seen what havoc is wrought from not doing it soon enough. First it may be voluntary, but then mandatory as the threat persists. This often means that you evacuate for no reason as the storm turns, but at least all are safe. Each area (I lived in Tampa Bay) is divided into zones according to your risk. All of the New Smyrna beach area would be the first zone to be called, Zone A.

I lived in Zone A as well. In 8.5 years we had only 2 or 3 mandatory evacuations and in none of the instances did we face a direct hit. In one case, Charley, it was supposed to come directly into Tampa Bay. About 3 hours before landfall, it took a sudden turn and came in around Captiva area. As we had a mandatory evacuation and my husband was running a hotel, we had already sent our guests inland to a sister hotel in Orlando..which is where the hurricane ended up going, though thankfully it had been over land for a while before getting there!! Still there was some structural damage to that hotel.

So...bottom line is...New Smyrna Beach would be evacuated early....odds are they would be missed but you just never never know--they are very very erratic things.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A question for the locals please

Thanks for your response. I am aware of the way evacuations are done but I was wondering if NSB was rather landlocked. It seemed that way to us when we were there as we stopped by for a while so that is what made me think about it. Hopefully not as that would cause even more issues with evacuation even if done earlier than "normal" It was just a curiousity question for the locals that live there.

punz

NSB FL & BR GA
Level Contributor
127 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A question for the locals please

Punz--

I live in New Smyrna (although mainland, not beachside). The north and south causeways are the only two outlets from the beach back to the mainland. If you cut across Penninsula it will take you from one causeway to the other. In terms of a hurricane evacuation they are generally called for far enough in advance that traffic is inconvenient but not so bad you would get trapped at the beach.

4. Re: A question for the locals please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 07, 2009
Get answers to your questions about New Smyrna Beach
More New Smyrna Beach Topics