We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples Florida Sea Turtles

Boulder, Colorado
6 posts
Save Topic
Naples Florida Sea Turtles

Hi, I've got a 9 year old daughter who is fascinated by sea turtles. I have an offer to stay in Naples in early June and wonder which organizations we could volunteer with in order to really get a first hand experience and education regarding the nesting and hatching season. Many thanks!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples Florida Sea Turtles

You would need the Turtle Lady. Eve Haverfield at Turtle Time.It is Turtle Time now, they are nesting. All lights must be off and furniture off the Beach by 9PM.

Every AM the Turtle volunteers walk the Beach looking for signs of nesting and roping off nests. I'm sorry I do not have a #, you might google it....

Boulder, Colorado
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples Florida Sea Turtles

Thank you so much! I just googled turtle time but cannot find a specific number for Eve. We would love to participate!! If you happen to run across anyone who has her specific contact info, please let me know. I really appreciate your quick response! Our trip will be planned around sea turtle encounters so I want to make sure we get that info first.

Many thanks!

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples Florida Sea Turtles

You are Welcome but I just found out Turtle Time does Lee County down to Collier line which excludes Naples. Thats for Ft. Myers Beach and Bonita. Call 239-481-5566 and ask who to contact in Naples or perhaps join the Bonita group. That is awesome that your Girl is into Turtles at an early age, Eve would definitely encourage her to continue because she is passionate about them. I wear small dangling dolphin earrings and for the past dozen years Eve always comments that I am wearing the wrong earrings! It is fascinating that they always come back to where they were born to lay eggs. They hatch at a full moon and the moonlight guides the little ones out to the Gulf, which is why no lights are allowed on the Beach after 9. We've caught them crossing the Road!

Good Luck. Perhaps she will work @Sea World or Mote Marine in Florida??

UK
Level Contributor
100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples Florida Sea Turtles

Hi

Is there anywhere where you can have a good view of the turtles from a discrete distance without alarming them?

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples Florida Sea Turtles

Collier County contact info:

Collier County Environmental Services

Naples, FL 34104

239-732-2505

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples Florida Sea Turtles

Thanks for chiming in pattib.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples Florida Sea Turtles

Just a tip for anyone who finds while searching for current turtle view opportunities. Turtle Time does have hatching release observation opportunities, but does not do guided walks to observe the sea turtles as they nest. So June is too early in the season for viewing turtles with Turtle Time. From my conversation with them it seems the hatching begins in mid / late July.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naples Florida Sea Turtles

They hatch at a full moon and very late from what I remember. It's amazing how big the Nesting Turtles are and how very small, a quarter coin size the hatch lings are, Turtle Time=Beachfront properties have to shield lights and residences must close blinds/curtains. All furniture must be off the Beach by dark.

9. Re: Naples Florida Sea Turtles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 12, 2014