We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples to Key West

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Naples to Key West

Heard renting car is cheaper and faster than ferry, any truth?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples to Key West

Definitely cheaper but not faster, but I would say more comfortable than the ferry especially the return trip on the ferry which several have reported is rough. And the drive is very scenic. Take hwy 41 from Naples and you might see alligators in the canals along the roadside.

Then there are places along the way you might want to visit: Shark Valley, Clyde Butcher Art Gallery (both on hwy 41), Robbies Marina in Islamorada to see the huge tarpon right up close to the pier. And then there's the drive over the 7 mile bridge called the Overseas Highway - spectacular.

Google any of those for details.

Edited: 4:08 pm, March 31, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples to Key West

Thank you so much AhHah

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples to Key West

I would agree that it is definitely cheaper, but not faster. If you are considering driving, you may want to MapQuest this to get an estimated driving time. I've taken the KeyWest Express and found it to be fun, scenic and smooth. I admit the latter is obviously influenced by the weather, but when I went the water was like glass. The bar opens shortly after departure and many of the passengers start practicing for Key West. There is both indoor and outdoor seating. Movies to pass the time inside and dolphins to watch outside. Music as well. Part of this equation comes down to economics; if you have a large group or family, the ferry will set you back and you will see a magnified effect on the price difference. If you are renting a car, you may want to do the math. You don't need a car in KW.

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples to Key West

We are looking at the same proposition--ferry versus automobile. I think we will be driving. We will be able to set our own timetable; that is we can leave for Key West earlier in the morning and arrive before noon. And we can depart back to Naples whenever we wish. We're hoping that will be an advantage.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples to Key West

My fiancé and I make the drive 4-5 times/year as his father has a townhouse and a condo in Naples. We enjoy stopping at the fruit/veggie markets on Krome Avenue as well as taking our time in the Keys. If you do make the drive and can afford to do so, I'd keep the rental car in Key West...there is much more to the Keys than Key West. Whatever you do, enjoy!

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples to Key West

Driving over Seven Mile bridge is a good reason to take the driving option. It is at least a 4 four drive from Naples.

As the other poster has said, there is more to the Keys than just Key West and driving gives you the option to see all of the Florida Keys!

Edited: 8:13 am, April 08, 2012
7. Re: Naples to Key West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 pm, June 19, 2013