We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Londoners visiting Florida ....

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Londoners visiting Florida ....

Wonder if someone could help us solve our dilema. Last year we had a fantastic trip to LA, Hawaii, San Fran and Chicago. This year we've decided to do New York and Florida. We have two kids 7 and 10 so we thought we'd do the obligatory couple of days in Orlando but bit confused about the next bit. Love the thought of Miami but frankly think my thighs are too big and I can't rollerblade... want somewhere sophisticated, near the beach, not too full of oldies, good location for visiting rest of area. Would like to rent house. Any ideas .... perhaps Naples?

london
Level Contributor
368 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Londoners visiting Florida ....

fort myers is good not sure about sosphisticated but not down market either good beach and for kids. nearby sanibel more upmarketand marco Island but can be visited from FM been there acouple of times and are going again at easter with visits to the keys. last year took a boat to key west this year hope to go to key largo. 3 hour or so journey.

london
Level Contributor
368 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Londoners visiting Florida ....

nothing wrong with Naples either beautiful beach depends how much you want to pay a more expensive area than fort myers

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Londoners visiting Florida ....

I'd suggest the Sarasota area (Longboat Key, Siesta Key).

miami, florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Londoners visiting Florida ....

You can't go wrong with Sanibel and Captiva. The beaches are beautiful and the islands are quite lush (even after the hurricanes. For the kids there's the Ding Darling nature preserve where you can rent pontoon boats. There are also miles of bike paths and bike rentals available. It's a very family oriented area. You're also near to Ft Meyers where you can visit the Thomas Edison summer house. It may be a little pricier than Ft Meyers Beach but I think well worth it. There are homes as well as condos for rent and many are right on the beach.

PS. Beautiful sunsets too!