We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled Accessible Villa

United Kingdom
7 posts
Save Topic
Disabled Accessible Villa

Hi all

Hoping someone has some local knowledge of the Naples area.

We have a 10yr old disabled girl who is confined to a wheelchair, (Hospital negligence) she is one of twins.

We are hoping to Holiday in the area in the next 6mths but are struggling to find a suitable Villa that is wheelchair friendly and fairly spacious.

Ideally we would like to stay in a villa on the canals around Naples, as we have been before and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Can anyone recomend anything.

Thankyou in anticipation

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled Accessible Villa

I haven't considered this kind of request before. I'm thinking there might be something for you at The Park Shore Resort or at The Registry (tennis villas?). Were you looking to rent a condo or a hotel room?

Mentioned in this post
Park Shore Resort
Park Shore Resort
433 Reviews
Naples, FL
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled Accessible Villa

Alright, I did a Google search and have some websites for you to look at:

<http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/18609.html> is in a community in North Naples, approx. 6 miles from the beach.

<http://www.greatrentals.com/FL/5126.html> is in a residential community in East Naples, approx. 4 miles from Old Naples and the beach.

<http://www.accesstravelcenter.com/vac_rents.html> has 3-4 listings available in Naples, in the Florida, South Gulf Coast section.

Maybe these will get you off to the right start.

Linda

Mentioned in this post
North Naples
North Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
United Kingdom
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled Accessible Villa

Thanks for your replies.

We are ideally looking for a 1 floor house/villa with approx 3/4 bedrooms.

I will look at the web pages.

It is very difficult planning a holiday as sometimes what the properties look like on the web can be slightly different in reality and when you have a little girl with such profound needs it can make or break the holiday.

We also have to hire a wheelchair accessible vehicle which adds a massive cost to the holiday especially as we like to visit Florida for 3 weeks or more.

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
United Kingdom
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Disabled Accessible Villa

Sorry, don't think I was very clear in my last post.

We are looking to rent a private house for approx 3 weeks.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Disabled Accessible Villa

Now I understand better. Look at these sites and then post any rentals on which you want more information. I can tell you about neighborhoods and proximity to beach, etc. Is there any particular area you want to be in or is price the determining factor?

Linda

United Kingdom
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Disabled Accessible Villa

Hello again

Sorry not posted for a while.

We have looked at all the websites posted and are really struggling to find anything that is really suitable.

We have extended our search to the Marco Island area and found quite a few.

But the cost is proving to be quite restrictive as the vehicle we need to hire is £1400 and the flights are approx £6000.

The flight is more expensive because we have to book Premium Economy with Virgin Airlines.

We absolutely love the thought of having a house for 3 weeks on a waterway etc, but as we need quite a large property for obvious reasons the cost is quite high.

The Holiday would cost approx £10,000 for the time of year we want to go, as my daughter cannot stand the intense heat in the summer months so we have to go from October to April/May

We will continue looking and hope something inspires us to book it.

Thankyou

Mentioned in this post
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Disabled Accessible Villa

Are there any international organizations that can help you arrange the rental of the disabled van? March of Dimes? I just don't know where to start researching this. Marco Island is a wonderful area, and I encourage you to continue looking there. It will be approx. 45 mins. drive from the airport in Fort Myers, but an easy drive. However, I will warn you that our high tourist season is Jan-April. If you can arrange your trip to avoid that time, you'll have a much easier time getting on, off, and around the island.

Mentioned in this post
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers
Fort Myers
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
United Kingdom
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Disabled Accessible Villa

We are not aware of any International organisations that can help us. We usually use Rainbow Wheels for our car hire, but as we will need to fly to Miami they want to charge us $600 for delivery.

It is a very difficult process as there seems to be nothing set up for our circumstances as we are in the "minority" and are probably not cost effective for any organisation to make the effort.

We have found a property on Marco Island which seems ideal and next to a waterway.

I will post the link to it on next post.

It does seem that if you are disabled everything costs 4 times as much and then it is still a compromise.

Mentioned in this post
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL