We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Where do I start my planning???

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
135 reviews
Help! Where do I start my planning???

Hi- My husband just suggested we take a trip down to Miami for maybe a three night getaway sometime in the Spring. I don't know anything about Miami and what is the difference between Miami and Miami Beach. We are in our middle 30's and probably would like a place on the beach. Can anyone please start me on my planning? Thank you!

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
339 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Help! Where do I start my planning???

I'm sure AdvisorGirl will have something more detailed for you, but for starters-

Miami is the city, Miami Beach is the skinny island that sits between the city and the actual beach and ocean. South Beach is the section from about 20th St. on down.

Your budget will determine where best to stay. The nice places on the beach, like the Loews, etc. are really pricey. I'm always on a tight budget when I go, so I like to stay at more reasonably priced places ($175 and under). There are lots of nice ones on Ocean Drive and Collins Ave (one block parallel).

I can't give you advice on the $$$$$$hotels, but cheaper (but nice) places I've stayed are: The Park Central, The Nassau Suites, the Crescent Suites. I've also researched the Carlton and Suites on South Beach and am considering those two for my next, upcoming trip.

Advisor Girl will have websites for your trip planning. Here's some I've used: Visit South Beach Online, VirtualTourist.com and the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Good luck, happy hunting and ask more questions as you go along- you've got lots of time.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
135 reviews
2. Re: Help! Where do I start my planning???

Thank you Rebecca.. you have given me a place to start!

3. Re: Help! Where do I start my planning???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 20, 2009