We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day tour to the keys

Jhb
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
One day tour to the keys

Hi there

We are going to be in Miami for 3 and a half days in September. Really want to get a look at the keys. We are still deciding if we should hire a car for a day and drive ourselves, or can someone recommend a good tour? This would be just a day trip and we are aware it's quite a drive.

Thanks

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,565 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day tour to the keys

Having your own car is the way to go. It offers the most flexibility.

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day tour to the keys

If you plan on going all the way to Key West and back, you will spend most of the daylight hours in a car. You won't get anywhere quickly on US 1, and you won't have time to enjoy much. I have seen numerous posts in the Key West forum and the Florida Keys forums for itineraries. You may want to use the search function.

I would include some beach time at Bahia Honda and a sunset at Mallory Square in Key West if you have time.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,830 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day tour to the keys

M>

I'd suggest you rent a car for the day and drive south (ONLY an hour) to John Pennekamp Park to either snorkel the reef or ride over the reef in a glass bottom boat. There are fun places to stop along the way including a spot that sells AMAZING cinnamon buns and another where you can feed the tarpon.

http://pennekamppark.com/snorkeling-tours/

Here is my guide to a day's road trip that is more about FUN than sitting in a car wondering when the fun starts.

www.tinyurl.com/KEYDRIVE-AG

more

southbeachmagazine.com/10-navigate-the-keys/

AG

GardeniaPalm
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day tour to the keys

I would advise against going to the Keys with the short amount of time you have. If you drive all the way to Key West you're going to basically have to turn around and come back. If you only go to Key Largo you'll say "What's all the fuss about?"

Key West is the most entertaining of all the Keys, and is what you'll really want to visit, but you need more time to really enjoy yourself.

Jhb
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One day tour to the keys

Thank you all so much! Have had a look and it's about a 4 hour drive all the way down, which means 8 hour trip, with no traffic. Think that's out. Will have a look at the link you provided AG. Thank you

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day tour to the keys

If you have an interest in the Keys, a drive down about halfway (to the 7 mile bridge) is a good day trip.

7. Re: One day tour to the keys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 21, 2015