We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Beach Dive Bars

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
South Beach Dive Bars

What are your three favorite dive bars in South Beach?

aka reasonably-priced drinks, local flavor, and other intangibles.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,808 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Beach Dive Bars

LOL!

Three?

Ha... this is SOUTH BEACH!

My guide www.tinyurl.com/BARS-AG

For "intangibles" - start at Club Deuce where the dive bar pricing starts at 8AM! (GOOD Morning),

then crawl on to Ted's, Monty's at 4pm, and finish up at the Abbey & the Purdy.

also - southbeach-usa.com/news/dining/happy-hours-m…

AG

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Beach Dive Bars

Thanks, AG...great list at your site.

and thanks for thinning the herd with these finalists:

1. Club Deuce

2. Teds

3. Monty's

4. The Abbey

5. The Purdy

This looks like a doable day trip, and all along the shuttle.

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Beach Dive Bars

OK...so maybe not all in one day.

We arrived Sat evening and after a cocktail in the hotel bar we went for a walk down Collins to Lincoln we strolled to the end of Lincoln. Beautiful evening and the Lincoln Mall was packed with people, many dressed to the nines, many casual like us. Wife was thinking beer, and we googled Abbey Brewing Company, which was just around the corner. 10 pm and walked in to a packed house. Smoking there, but great ventilation system, so not really noticeable. Once again, crowded, but we joined a couple in a booth, who were young and living the dream in Miami Beach, living only a few blocks away. I talked a lot with the couple and they were amazed when asked about the five choices above. One way or another, with exception of Ted's, those were the four favorite bars of one or both of them! Great beers, cool and young crowd...mostly locals.

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Beach Dive Bars

Sunday, first full day. First of all, we're staying at Riviera Suites, they are three buildings at the corner of 20th and Liberty. We got a great deal there, considering it is Valentine's/President's Day long weekend and is also timed with the Boat Show in South Beach. Also got upgraded on arrival to a one bedroom suite in Building 3 (great room) with a sofa/dining/kitchen room and separate bedroom. This place had mixed reviews, but we were more than happy with the results. A rooftop pool with nice sundeck, and a courtyard pool that seems to get some sun between maybe 11:30 and 1:30 between the buildings and the gorgeous bamboo. Moreno's, the house restaurant/bar is a mixed bag between its management and service. There is a Cuban market across the street, open from 6:30 am to midnite, and that is the place to go for fresh breakfast sandwiches and delish cafe con leche and also for luncheon (great sandwiches for $8).

Anyway, we chilled around pools until 2 or so, really enjoying a perfect day that started cool and made it to high 70's without a cloud in the sky.

We did the route of the South Beach Local...see other post, and ended up at 14th and Washington for a close encounter with Mac's Club Deuce. As previously warned by AG, characters welcome, and today was not exception. Great tunes on the jukebox, Kathy behind the bar, a couple of off-shift employees drinking with a light, but colorful afternoon crowd. We did bloody marys and premium beers on the two-for-one special. The pool table had some lively action in a couple of "to the death" matches. Didn't seem overly smokey. Fun place, good vibes...great dive....good call AG. I could get attached to this place, bought the t-shirt and Kathy threw in some bumper stickers.

So 4:30 ish, we are headed to Doraku on Lincoln for ahi poke and lycheetinis. Very popular sandwich shop across street from Club Deuce, all carryout. We walked up Espanola Way toward the west. Nice restaurant row, a little more intimate than Lincoln. Walked up to Lincoln thru residential area (nice) and made it to Lincoln at Lush store, so stopped for some of that stuff wife likes.

We made it to the main bar at Doraku a few minutes before the 5 - 7 Happy Hour (7 days a week). Pedro waited on us at the bar and made great recommendations. Place filled quickly after 5 pm. We did lycheetinis (including the watermelon version...great!). Had four apps at $6 each, all great. Thanks Pedro. Lycheetinis were $6 ea and Kirin drafts at $4 ea. We were out in an hour or so with just the right combination of food and drink. Close to hammered, by this time, actually. Great vibe and lighting. Pedro was the bomb and posed with guns for photo. Caught a cab from Alton back to hotel, walking had become a liability at this point.

Edited: 9:49 am, February 17, 2014
miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,808 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Beach Dive Bars

Fitch>

Sounds like a DREAM weekend! Are you headed home today?

AG

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Beach Dive Bars

Another day....we're heading for Monty's at the Marina. Maybe Ted's first if we get rolling soon.

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Beach Dive Bars

Monty's at the Marina (aka Monty's Sunset) was a nice trip on SBL from Washington and 19th. Arrived right about 4 pm for HH....however, there is fine print. HH is N/A on holidays...duh Presidents Day.

Anyway, went in to main bar (didn't see pool bar until after ordered). One plus...ordered Yeungling on tap, we don't see this in New England. Debated a dozen oysters at regular price, which is $18 a dozen (vs $12 at HH). Ordered a sampler plate that included oysters, clams, rock crab, shrimp and conch salad. It was good and we had fill. Little disappointed about HH, but what the heck. It is a cool spot amongst some very nice yachts...cruise ships passing by up close. Finished a little early for sunset, so decided to go to Teds.

Cleaned up and paid the bill and while waiting for SBL for about five minutes and realized it was only three blocks to where we were planning to exit if you just walk over on 2nd St...

So soon we are at the world famous Ted's Hideaway. HH there from noon to 8 pm. $1 off on all drinks...Bud lights at $3.50. Had a couple and listened to some old school picks on the jukebox, courtesy of Ian. That's "crunk" excitably shouted one of the patrons. Cool dive...a little smoky. No t-shirt, but a good time was had by all.

Both great spots, AG, thanks again.

Edited: 7:30 pm, February 17, 2014
Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Beach Dive Bars

One quick shout out for Ocean Deli and Market at 1941 20th Street....across street from Riviera Suites, they are open from 6:30 am to midnite, daily.

Cafe con leche for $1.50, great breakfast sandwiches (large enough for two) for $6, boar's head sandwiches until 6 pm? for $8, also big enough for two, and plenty of sides. Beers, wine, drinks and sundries also available.

Service is great, Spanish preferred, but they'll work with you.

Love this place...

Departing at 8 pm tonight (Tuesday)....sort of turned this thread into a trip report, hope no one minds....thanks again to AG for great bar and HH advice.

Edited: 8:46 am, February 18, 2014
Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Beach Dive Bars

With an afternoon free before flight and a kitchen pass (though limited), spouse wanted to lounge at pool, I decided to do the final event of AG's Decathlon...The Purdy Lounge. Took the westbound SBL to Purdy and Dade, and walked the block or so past 18th to the Purdy.

Not open at 2 PM. Shoot.

Went looking for knowledgable locals and got recommendation to go to Burger and Beer Joint on Bay Rd., just around the corner.

Nicole was running the B&BJ bar and recommended a bison special. It was huge, with fried jalapenos and bacon on top. Fries on the side and some kind of special sauce. A couple of people at bar noted Purdy does not open until 3. Anyway, great burger and had some unfiltered beer and also a couple of Bud Lights at the B&BJ.

I am enjoying afternoon, and door of the Purdy Lounge now open at 3:30 pm. Understand this is more of a night time joint. After scoping exact departure area for SBL back to Washington, went in Purdy. Young man setting up poured me a Yeungling draft and said they had to call in a bartender, no sooner had he said that, here came bartender on a bicycle. She (Shondell(e), like "Tommy James and the" continued to set up.

Good mix on sound system, some alt rock mixed with some classic rock. Dark place, and empty except for me. Still enjoyed some beers, crafted cocktail and a few shots before I had to depart. Shondelle great bartender. I would go back in to The Purdy Lounge in a minute.

Just loud enough in there I couldn't hear my phone. Not only did kitchen pass expire, I even found myself near double secret probation. Was it worth it? Totally.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,808 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: South Beach Dive Bars

Fitch>

You have made me truly PROUD. Please note that my bar crawl was meant to take you through a LONG drunken night with Purdy being an after hours stop. Glad you found B& B where I too have spent many a happy moment feasting on the Thunder Road - cheddar, bacon & onion jam (did you try the onion rings?)

You have inspired me to plan a lost weekend this weekend... HEY! I forgot Lost Weekend (it is on Espanola east of Washington if you're still thirsty...)

Thanks for the AWESOME feedback. Please come back again soon!!!

AG