We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll Road charges in a rental car

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fullerton
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Toll Road charges in a rental car

I have recently booked a one week rental car from Ft Lauderdale airport to drop a week later in Miami with a shuttle to the Port of Miami. The rate was good and all seemed great until I printed my confirmation and read the fine print. There are about $150.00 extra in fees and taxes, which I will probably have to pay with any rental company (this doesn't include insurance), however what concerns me is the Cashless Tolls that don't allow you to pay cash for the toll roads you might take. There is an all-inclusive PlatePass that you can rent to cover that. Still haven't seen the price for that. Any thoughts on whether it is best to do that or get another type of toll pass? We will be driving down to Key West and around Miami. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,188 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll Road charges in a rental car

Who are you renting with ? You will encounter cashless tolls on this trip.

More info here:

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Fullerton
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll Road charges in a rental car

We are renting from Dollar. Sounds like they have the option for PlatePass.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll Road charges in a rental car

Dollar's Plate Pass option for the tolls is one of the most expensive among the rental companies. An alternative would be for you to purchase a Sunpass Mini for 5 dollars and opt out of the Plate Pass. Or if you can ... change rental car companies. See what others may charge:

Read here www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Fullerton
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll Road charges in a rental car

The PlatePass charge is $45.00 and it says that is unlimited use, if I am reading it right. The Sun Pass transponder is $25.00 plus a sticker for $5.00 that has to be permanently mounted inside the windshield. Then there is 6% tax, so I am thinking maybe the PlatePass is just better with less chance of getting charged up to $105. Yes, I am intimidated, into it, not knowing the roads, or the system. Thank you for providing this information. I imagine lots of people are getting stuck and then fined if they don't understand how it all works.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Toll Road charges in a rental car

There are two Sunpass transponders that you can buy: 1. The portable one for $25 or the Mini which is a sticker for $5. You do not buy both.

If you buy the Mini, one visitor reported that he wrapped it in a piece of cling instead of sticking it directly to the windshield. Then he used regular scotchtape to stick the wrapped Mini on to the windshield. That way it was easy to peel it off at the end of the rental.

Edited: 7:32 pm, January 19, 2014
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
147 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toll Road charges in a rental car

should we rent a car on our own thru a rental car company and opt OUT of the option to purchase the rental company's ' plate / cashless system " and just order our own 'sunpass transponder' to attach toe the rental windshield??

planning to drive around Miami and sobe and the keys and everglades and we won't know which roads/freeways will charge ?

do we even need a car in brickell area/ downtown and south beach or just for the everglades and keys ?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Toll Road charges in a rental car

Roxanne, there are some car rental companies that have a very fair charge for use of their toll option. Read here: www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Indiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toll Road charges in a rental car

I am going from the Fort Laud airport to the Fountainebleau Hotel which is mid South Beach. How do I find out if there is a toll or not, which will determine if I need the SunPass

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toll Road charges in a rental car

Regarding Use of Cling Wrap

I recently tried the Cling Wrap technique with my SunPass mini. It did NOT work. Fortunately I had registered the rental car's plate with SunPass people so they took the picture of the plate and deducted the standard SunPass toll from my account. I monitored my account at SunPass.com and it took about 3 days for the charges to show up. After realizing that the Cling Wrap was not working I removed the Cling & applied the Mini transponder directly to my windshield and it worked fine.

I recommend not using Cling wrap but be sure to register your mini. Also give them the termination date of your rental so that if you mistakenly leave it in the car you will not be responsible for tolls incurred by others.

You can get a refund of any money that you put on your SunPass account after your rental period is finished. (I believe you have to leave at least $0.01 in your account.)

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Toll Road charges in a rental car

Just booked a rental through thrifty rent a car for upcoming trip. (arriving 2/14) Is it absolutely neccesary to get one these transponders or just if you want to use the speed pass lanes? Are there actually some tolls that you have no option but to go through a automated lane with no attendent? Very confused now!