We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

See through doors on toilets - the in thing?

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
See through doors on toilets - the in thing?

Whats the go with these funky hotel designers thinking that having a see through door on the toilet is a good idea?

I stayed at the Dream hotel in South Beach & then another hotel had them in Singapore.

There was no area of the hotel room that you could not see directly into the toilet.

Is it now trendy & the in thing to watch others taking a crap or undertaking other personal issues?

Should they not figure out a way through sophisticated electronics to amplify the toilet noises through the whole room so that there is no chance of missing out on the other part of this must share experience?

At the Dream hotel, all I can say is I have eternal thanks that there was a public toilet that was located downstairs in the lobby which was open 24 hours otherwise I am not sure what I would of done.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,261 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: See through doors on toilets - the in thing?

I heard about the see-through doors at the Dream (and at Clevelander). How see-through are they? I thought they were just translucent.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: See through doors on toilets - the in thing?

The ones at the Dream are completely see through.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: See through doors on toilets - the in thing?

I would love to hear from anyone who actually thinks this is a good idea!

Looking at the reviews, there are quite a number of people that have a hard time dealing with it. The hotels response to that particular problem is "We do understand that many elements of our hotel are much different than the other cookie-cutter style hotels throughout the world"

Well if a cookie cutter hotel means I don't have to sit on the bed & watch another person take a sh*t and wipe their backside then sign me up!!

It's not sexy, its not cutting edge, its not young or hip, its about the most moronic design "feature" I have ever seen in a hotel.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,587 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: See through doors on toilets - the in thing?

Adam>

I quite agree. There are inexpensive window tints (similar to the sort used for car windows) that these hotels could apply that would make the glass doors less revealing. As RK mentioned - translucent is far nicer than transparent!

AG

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,379 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: See through doors on toilets - the in thing?

Is it possible to drape a towel over the door? Maybe when those hotels start losing clients they would change out the see-through glass.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,261 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: See through doors on toilets - the in thing?

It does seem like a dumb idea. Expect it will be a temporary fad.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: See through doors on toilets - the in thing?

I think it is an awful idea.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: See through doors on toilets - the in thing?

Oh no!! I just booked 3 nights here. My boyfriend and I. I hope this won't be a big problem.

Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: See through doors on toilets - the in thing?

I stayed there, in a standard room. Yes, the doors are see through, BUT there are a set of doors (swing type if I recall) that you can close to separate the bed area from the shower and toilet area. Turn up the sound on the tv, and you'll survive. It's not THAT bad, though I agree it's a totally unnecessary "design" element.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,379 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: See through doors on toilets - the in thing?

Ahhhh .... that's more like it, Trvlr. Maybe the OP didn't realize there were those swing doors. I really couldn't see a hotel doing something like what is being discussed here.