We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hours with a rental car: keys, or beaches near FLL?

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
minnesota
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
12 hours with a rental car: keys, or beaches near FLL?

We are cruising Feb 1-4, on Monday the 4th we have all day free (fly out of FLL at 930 pm). We rented a car and are trying to decide if we drive down the keys a bit, or head a little north along the shore. I don't want to spend all the time driving in the car, but an hour or two is ok. We just want to enjoy the last day on vacay. If we do the keys we probably couldn't go further than Ismoralda... WHat should we do?!

FL
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 hours with a rental car: keys, or beaches near FLL?

That's a tough one, depends what type of people you are. If you're going to be tired, just stay on south beach and relax, eat and shop. if you up for adventure, go to John pennycamp park near islamorada and take the snorkel trip. I would advise booking ahead, to avoid disappointment when you drive all the way down and it's full.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,317 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 hours with a rental car: keys, or beaches near FLL?

Spend a liesurely day in south beach, then drive to the airport on A1A (Collins Ave). Allow about an hour to drive from south beach to FLL.

minnesota
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 hours with a rental car: keys, or beaches near FLL?

We have about 6 hours in miami before our cruise on Friday too, so we were thinking of doing south beach that day, since it is right near the cruise ports. I think we would like to get out of the city a little on monday, I just didnt know if the keys was feasable timewise, or if there are public beaches, or access points? We do have our own snorkel gear, but not sure if we are bringing it or not... At that park is there other things to do besides a guided snorkel trip? How long does it take to drive there, and then back up to fll?

Thanks!

FL
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 hours with a rental car: keys, or beaches near FLL?

http://www.floridastateparks.org/pennekamp/

That's the link for the park, there is kayaking,a picnic area, glass bottom boat tour, beach, etc. About 1 hour 15 min drive each way from lauderdale. If you are trying to kill time before the cruise, I would not chance it by going to the Keys. It's one road in and the same road out. If there were traffic or an accident, you may get stuck and miss the cruise ship!

maybe take a trip to the Everglades before the ship, that's "out of town". http://evergladestours.com/_index.php

it' about a 35-40 minute drive from lauderdale beach area each way

5. Re: 12 hours with a rental car: keys, or beaches near FLL?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 08, 2014