We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation along Collins Ave - is there a better end?

Aussie in Brisbane
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Accommodation along Collins Ave - is there a better end?

My husband and I are heading to Miami Beach on 28 March for 4 nights. I have read that Collins Ave is a good location to be between 5th and 17th. The question I have is "is there a better end of the strip to be positioned." Lincoln Rd appears to be the shopping hub and around 5th the Art Deco area. I believe I can choose appropriate accommodation I'm just not sure if to plonky myself in the middle around 11th street or at one end or the other. I'm not much of a beach goer however looking for somewhere located near good eating areas and also some safe nightclub venues. Thanks.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,778 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Accommodation along Collins Ave - is there a better end?

Sumo

All info in one place

http://www.collinsavenuemagazine.com/

Collins Avenue is our coastal road and runs through many great towns. The area between 1-23 Street is best for your needs and has a dedicated shuttle bus for 25 cents that takes you EVERYWHERE you want to go!

MAP:

collinsavenuemagazine.com/collins-avenue-map/

SHUTTLE and points of interest :

southbeach-usa.com/maps/miami-beach-maps.htm

AG

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
8,078 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Accommodation along Collins Ave - is there a better end?

There isn't one corner of Collins that is "best", but stay below 24 street as AG suggested. The lower end below 5 street is more quiet and IMO a better beach, the mid-section to 15 street is more crowded and busy. between 15 and 23 streets it is mostly beachfront hotels and also closer to Lincoln Rd Mall. You can't really go wrong at any of these, but based on what you posted I'd put them in this order (1) 15-23 (2) 5-15 (3) 1-5. This is by very small margins, and very easy to get around on the 25c local bus in any case.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Accommodation along Collins Ave - is there a better end?

If I was a visitor - OK, a younger visitor - instead of a long time resident - I'd prefer to stay within a block or two of Lincoln Road, more likely to the south of it to provide easier access to other South Beach attractions. We find Lincoln Road and the restaurants, bars, shops, etc. alongside it and close by on the side streets and at or near either end to be much more reasonable and attractive than Ocean Drive or Washington Ave. I should add, if lots of noise and crowded sidewalks are your thing, then you might prefer Ocean Drive between 5th and 12th streets.

The 25 cent shuttlle buses offer easy access to everything in south beach. They go north and south on Washington Avenue, and also go west to the new restaurant/bar/shop area along Biscayne Bay/Purdy Avenue.

Washington ve. has quite a few gyp-joint and/lor velvet-roped clubs, but also small groceries, liquor stores and pizza-by-the-slice places.

Aussie in Brisbane
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Accommodation along Collins Ave - is there a better end?

Thanks everyone. I believe I have found what i wanted just near 11th street on ocean drive. Thanks Richard1793 for the info re the shuttle bus. cheers Sue

5. Re: Accommodation along Collins Ave - is there a better end?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 15, 2014