We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco to Miami Beach - best way to get there?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
241 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Marco to Miami Beach - best way to get there?

Is the Tamiami Trail a 2 lane road?? We prefer expressways and I'm not sure what type of road this is. We could take that, or I-75, not sure which is better. Any thoughts???

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
7,045 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marco to Miami Beach - best way to get there?

Tamiami is two lanes (one lane in each direction), but a lot more interesting than I-75. You're much more likely to see alligators and other wildlife on the Tamiami trail than on I-75. It's usually not too crowded either. If this is your first time I highly recommend Tamiami (US 41) over Alligator Alley (I-75).

gloucestershire
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marco to Miami Beach - best way to get there?

If you prefer expressways, then the I-75 would be better for you, quicker, but much less interesting. The Taimiami Trail is a more interesting road, but if getting stuck behind slower traffic annoys you, you would be better off on the I-75, as it can sometimes be quite difficult to overtake on the Tamiaimi Trail.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
241 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marco to Miami Beach - best way to get there?

Yep, I'm thinking the expressway - I hate trying to pass ppl on a 2 lane road, very nerve racking! As long as it isn't TOO much out of the way, I think I will definately take the expressway.

Glastonbury,CT
Level Contributor
314 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marco to Miami Beach - best way to get there?

I totally agree with both posters above that Tamiami Tr is much more interesting with alot of alligator viewing potential and unique birds! We have done this route twice in the past year and it is fairly easy to pass as it isn't very busy once in the Everglades. However in October of this year, thre was a resurfacing project on Tamiami and down to one lane in a few areas . We returned to Miami on 75 due to this. If you're impatient, use 75. If you'd enjoy some scenery and nature, Tamiami tr is great!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Marco to Miami Beach - best way to get there?

I-75 does have nature too though... I drove to Naples and back on Sunday and spotted over 20 gators!

Jess

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marco to Miami Beach - best way to get there?

Went to Miami in November via Tamiami -- there was a ton of roadwork as you near Miami. Several times, traffic was stopped as only one lane was open. Took 75 back.

7. Re: Marco to Miami Beach - best way to get there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, December 16, 2013