We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Haulover from Ft. Lauderdale

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Haulover from Ft. Lauderdale

About how long is the drive? Should we just head down A1A? Mapquest says to use 95.

We're staying at the Marriott BeachPlace Towers on a timeshare exchange and just want to check it out. Neither of us intends to go nude but we're a physically fit young couple and we have some swimwear that we might not feel comfortable wearing in the more family oriented Fort Lauderdale area.

Oh yeah, and how's the weather in early May?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Haulover from Ft. Lauderdale

I think you'll find I95 much quicker as A1A is full of lights and lots of traffic. You can try it and see but if it were me, I'd do 95. It's about 21 miles to the North Parking lot of Haulover Beach and should take around 30 minutes.

Haulover Beach is the sandy beach part of Haulover Park which includes a small golf course, marina, picnic area, boat ramp. The clothing optional beach is the most northern 1/3 or so of the beach. Most of the beach is a "textile" beach.

As you enter Haulover Park from the north, you'll want to park on the first parking lot on your right (North Parking Lot - $5 parking fee). There is a wooden walkway that leads to a tunnel that goes under Collins Avenue so it's a safe walk to the beach. Once you enter the beach area, you find most straight couples are on your right (south) and to your left (north) is mostly populated by gay couples.

It's a great beach with very friendly folks. You'll find that almost all of the guys are sans clothes, some of the ladies wear bottoms but almost all are top free.

It's a great beach that we visit pretty much every time we visit South Beach at least once during each trip!

May is a GREAT time to be down there as the weather is warm, lots of sun (longer days), water warm enough to swim, and the rainy season isn't in full effect.

In fact, we'll be there in early May as well so maybe we'll see you there!

Cheers!

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Haulover from Ft. Lauderdale

Thanks for all the great info :)