We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to dress in South Beach?

Maryland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
How to dress in South Beach?

Two of my friends and I will be coming to South Beach for the first week in March. We all are in out mid 20's and plan on doing the club / bar scene. What is the dress code (if any) for nightlife in South Beach? I'm assuming it's dress casul, but nice. Is it more dress pants and slacks oriented, or more focused towards jeans and kahkis. Also, are shorts allowed or no? I'm from New York so I'm use to the "Dress to Impress" theme of things. Are there any clubs you feel are better, or specific ones to stay away from. Thank you for your help.

Miami Beach, FL
Level Contributor
437 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How to dress in South Beach?

"Dress to Impress" rules here, too, especially at the higher end places like Sky Bar, Snatch, Mynt, Rokbar (all worth going to). Slacks or jeans are okay, but definitely NO khakis or shorts! You'll be flagged as a tourist immediately.

Here's what I wrote on a previous post w/ the same topic:

South Beach fashion is very eclectic, but there's always one constant: hip and stylish leads the way. Nice jeans are your basic standard (nice = nothing too grungy) so start with those as a good foundation. You can pair with either a relaxed long-sleeve button down shirt (think Ted Baker or something you would find at Zara) and casual dress shoes. If you're a little more daring and can pull it off, go for a funky polo or vintage t-shirt with smart sneaks like Puma or something similar. Both of these looks are pretty popular on the beach and all of my guy friends wear either one or the other, so they've been tried and tested.

For the higher end places (Prive, Mansion) you might want to spiff up your look a bit (no sneakers).

My favorite clubs are the ones I mentioned above. Sky Bar is a very, very cool lounge you MUST check out; Snatch is THE new club of the moment; Mynt's hip hop room is the best; the Setai pool party on Fridays are worth checking out; the Hotel Victor parties on Thursdays, too; and Rokbar is, well, an awesome rock bar. The bigger, louder clubs are Prive and Mansion. If you're into the big, loud clubs check these out.

Enjoy!

2. Re: How to dress in South Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:59 am, January 31, 2006
Chicago suburbs
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How to dress in South Beach?

My roommate and I (mid twenties) just got back from South Beach this weekend. We brought dresses and skirts to wear out at night, as I thought everyone would be really dressed up. We felt out of place, most girls seemed to have on dressy jeans and cute tanks. We were both surprised, as people dress up more than that by our house in the suburbs. During the day, all the women seemed to have on white pants. Mansion and Opium Garden are the hot spots. It was hard to get into Snatch, but it was packed and also seemed like the place to be.

miami, fl
Level Contributor
627 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to dress in South Beach?

When in doubt wear black. The trend is casual chic. However, dress to impress is always welcomed. During the day you can pretty much wear whatever you want. May I suggest something light because the humidity can be unbearable sometimes.

As far as clubs are concerned, you may want to check out Crobar or Mansion. Mynt is a really great bar to lounge at. Skybar at te Shore Club hotel is another trendy place at the moment. It is poolside and looks really nice at night with all the pillows, lights, music and beautiful people everywhere.

Have fun!