We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

miami beach hotels

HARWINTON, CT
5 posts
Save Topic
miami beach hotels

Staying 2 nights for post cruise with 10 year old. Looking for something directly on beach for a reasonable price as I need 2 rooms. Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn or the Doubletree on Collins. Looking for something within walking distance to restaurants ect., yet quiet enough to sleep. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,528 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: miami beach hotels

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn and found it perfectly acceptable. There are some negative posts on this site, but I find this property to be a typical Holiday Inn. There is a nice enough pool and direct access to the beach. Any place from the Holiday Inn north along Collins Av will be relatively quiet. Although this hotel bills itself as being in South Beach it is really north of the lively nightclub area of south Beach.

HARWINTON, CT
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: miami beach hotels

Thanks for the info. I also just spotted the Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront. Has anyone stayed here. If so, can you walk to anything from where it is located ?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: miami beach hotels

I have stayed at the DoubleTree Surfcomber many times. It is a very solid three-star, maybe even three and a half star hotel. Before it became a DoubleTree, it was simply the Surfcomber. It still has much of the boutique charm that has made the hotels on South Beach famous. Do not be disappointed if the rooms are small for most of the hotels were built a long time ago and that���s the way things were done back then.

As DoubleTree is a member of Hilton Family of Hotels, you should expect a reasonable and consistent level of service. Having said that, you may want to call and make sure there is not any fundraiser party going on when you are there. On very rare occasions, they have large events that may make you uncomfortable if you are with a child. They can also be noisy. But these events are few and far between.

The DoubleTree is in very easy walking distance to hot spots like Lincoln Road and Ocean Blvd. DoubleTree is on 17th Street and Collins where Lincoln is one street over. It is closer than the Holiday Inn. To help you judge, Lincoln is between 16th and 17th. The Holiday Inn is on 22nd street so it's 4 or 5 blocks away... not a bad walk, but a walk... especially with a 10 year old. I am somewhat of the opinion that the best area of South Beach ends around 17th or 18th street but others may disagree.

I have never stayed at the Holiday Inn so I cannot say anything about it, good or bad.

The DoubleTree has a nice pool and a reasonable restaurant. However with the many interesting restaurants within walking distance, we seldom eat at the hotel expect perhaps for breakfast. With a 10 year old in tow, your challenge may be to get him/her to go somewhere besides the Burger King at the corner of Collins and Lincoln Road :).

The DoubleTree may change a $7 a day beach fee, but it is well worth it as this includes beach lounge chairs, cushions and umbrellas that are provided by a private company that has made arrangements with the DoubleTree. Not all hotels have such an arrangement such that you may have to pay this independent firm as much as $35/day for two chairs and an umbrella per day! Clearly facilities at the pool rather than the beach are free of charge. If you are driving, note that parking is around $20/day for almost any hotel on South Beach (and a little higher at a few hotels).

As a parent, you should know that you will see a fair number of homeless people, openly gay couples and the beaches are topless (some areas more so than others). I���m not being judgmental, but as a parent you may want to know the before you get there.

P.S. If you are going to be down there during Spring Break time, the prices are high no matter where you go and the overall noise level is a little bit higher than usual... but still a lot of fun!

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
48 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: miami beach hotels

Try the Newport Beach Resort. Right on the ocean and very reasonable.