We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel help in south beach

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
hotel help in south beach

Need suggestion for family type hotel in miami beach area walk to ocean drive in south beach. Stayed at Loews once and found it a bit too ritzy. Any suggestions for nice hotel on beach close to ocean drive?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel help in south beach

You might check out Royal Palm. I'd consider it not as "ritzy" as say Loews or Ritz-Carlton but still much better than average hotel that's about as "family type" as it gets in South Beach.

The Royal Palm is very close to Loews so it too is close to Ocean Drive, Lincoln Road, etc. It is directly on the beach and has a nice pool.

South Beach really isn't known as a "family type" place but as you've been down there before, you already know that. When asked which hotels are best for families, I usually suggest Loews, Ritz-Carlton and Royal Palm. Both the Loews and Royal Palm are host to many conventions and trade shows so you'll typically find more business people and families staying there than your typical SoBe hotel.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,115 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Ocean Drive
Ocean Drive
10,221 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Lincoln Road
Lincoln Road
15,207 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel help in south beach

Thanks for your help. How do these htels compare to the Doubletree Surfcomber?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel help in south beach

Interesting question as we typically stay at the DoubleTree Surfcomber. The Surfcomber is smaller than Loews (much smaller) and smaller than Royal Palm. It was the Surfcomber long before it was a DoubleTree (one of the Hilton Hotel brands) and as such is more along the lines of a true art deco boutique hotel that South Beach is famous for.

The Surfcomber is actually two hotels that were combined many years ago. The lobby/lounge area connects the two which are now two wings that boarder the courtyard which leads to their pool. They have a GREAT pool and pool deck in that the pool is large and there are lots of lounge chairs that all have great sun. (Some of the other SoBe hotels have too many trees and the pool area too thin such that half the pool chairs are in the shade much of the day).

The Surfcomber has a very cool art deco lounge that is lit up with dozen of candles in the evening. It's lounge is very intimate(a nice way of saying small) that usually has only a few guests but it's a great way to meet your neighbor and snack on some free appetizers during happy hour.

The rooms are small (which is true for many SoBe hotels) and the bathrooms about the same size as your bathmat (again, a common feature of SoBe). However the service is very good and typically the bell hops are so quick that you NEVER have to open the front door as you enter and exit the hotel as you walk to/from dinner or an evening out.

From a family point-of-view, I'm not sure how many rooms will accomodate more than two guests. As it's only two in our party, I have never asked for a room that sleeps more than two in one bed. The rooms we've stayed in would be VERY tight if you attempted to roll in a cot but again, we've never asked so just don't know.

We often see families and children in the restaurant during breakfast or in the pool area. And as a DoubleTree, it's one of the few Hilton HHONORS properties in SoBe that a HHONORS member (typically business travelers) can use points to stay in SoBe. All this to say that we have often seen families with children staying there.

However, as it is not uncommon to see topless sunbathers in the courtyard between the pool and the beach fence (as well as occasionally in the pool area) and the fact that they don't have any activities for children (like they do at the Ritz-Carlton), I don't list the DoubleTree Surfcomber in the same "family" category as say the Ritz, Loews (that disallows topless in their pool area) and Royal Palm.

Having said that, I noticed that recently the DoubleTree Surfcomber has set up a play area with sand toys and umbrellas in their courtyard and beach area for very young travelers so they may be trying to appeal to the traveler with young ones.

One last thing, the Doubletree Surfcomber is a very quiet hotel in that we hardly ever hear noises from the outside or hallways. This is a good thing when sleep is on the top of your priority list!

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,115 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply