We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper parking alternative?

Which Miami Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Cheaper parking alternative?

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by "I'd tip more in the event you are bumping against some hotel policy." Is it because we have 3 people and most hotels only allow 2 per room or is holding luggages against hotel policy?

I guess best thing for me to do is call the hotel to see if they can hold the luggage for a couple hours after checkout. Also I think from FLL to SOBE is around $60-75 cab ride from what I have been reading. I have read there are garage parkings in SOBE for around $8-$14 daily. I just gotta find out if they allow overnight parking. Too late to call them now but I will find out tomorrow hopefully.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheaper parking alternative?

I accidently posted new topic instead of replied to a older one and I don't know how to delete this reply.

Here was Sobe_Fans last reply to me asking about hotels holding luggages after checkout.

-------------------

Every hotel I have stayed at (3-stars or better) in SoBe will gladly hold your luggage for a few minutes to many hours - especially if they see you reaching for your wallet when you begin your transaction. I usually tip around $5 or $6 for 3 to 5 pieces. I'm assuming all of you are staying at the hotel. If some of your friends are guests and you are looking to store their luggage as well, if it were me, I'd tip more in the event you are bumping against some hotel policy.

Depending upon how busy the hotel is, you may be able to get late check-out (for free) but can't necessary count on it. Often they can't tell you if you can get late check out until the morning of your departure.

Some hotels I've stayed at in SoBe actually have a program where they post hours and charges for late checkout. For example, check out by 1:00 PM is $30, 3:00 PM is $50, and so on.

As you compute your costs comparisons, know that SoBe hotels typically charge $20 to $25/day for valet parking as they don't have a parking lot of their own. A very few hotels do have a parking lot and I think offer free parking - you may want to check with your hotel if this matters.

Lastly, FLL is not nearly as close as MIA. I'm guessing it's a good 45 minute drive or so. If you haven't already, you may want to see what a typical taxi cab fare might be as although not outrageous, it won't be cheap.

Enjoy! SoBe is a great place for fun and sun!

Cheers!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheaper parking alternative?

No... Unless your hotel is REALLY cheap, they will hold your luggage until you are ready physically leave. "Bumping against policy" was only in the event your friends were staying at ANOTHER hotel and they were storing their luggage at YOUR hotel. If everyone is staying at the same hotel, you should have no problem getting them to store your luggage. If they do, then I'd be worried about the type of hotel you are staying at :).

The web site miamibeachfl.gov/newcity/…index.asp has info on parking.