We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant bills error and other drink scams in Miami Beach

montreal
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant bills error and other drink scams in Miami Beach

Miami Beach is a fun place. Nice beach, cool city, very trendy. Will probably go back next winter. However was very upset twice in SOBE restaurants. First time at an Italian terrasse restaurant on Lincoln street. The one with the orange plastic chairs and matching umbrella. Every dishes we was incorrectly priced on our final bill . Sometime 2 to 3 dollars extra than printed on the menu.With tax and tips you could say an extra 10 $. Waiter pleaded that system was new etc... But I dont buy this BS. The place is pack almost every night...so dont really buy that argument especially for basic plates such as calamari, Mahi Mahi and Chicken filets... He did make the corrections but for such an international destination I find it pretty lame !. Second time on Ocean blvd for cocktails at one of the terrasse restaurant facing the beach. Hostess told us large Mojito where two for one. When the waitress came it was no longer two for one anymore but two for 20. Then she said we could not buy 2 drinks only. Me my wife and mom all had to buy each one of us a drink or we would loose the special. Then she said we could buy 4 drinks for 40$ . Then she change her story again and we all had to buy a drink and minimum was 10$ to 15 $ each. . Anyway after the 3rd story I just told her to find other suckers for her Mojitos cocktail. Anyway its really too bad I dont remember the name of restaurant so we all avoid this place. I would never imagine people trying little scam like this in Miami. Maybee in some remote island where you dont speak the language or something ! Morale of the story ...just check your bill and get the full story before ordering booze on Ocean blvd !

Mentioned in this post
Miami, FL
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant bills error and other drink scams in Miami Beach

Miami Beach is full of gypsies (especially on Ocean Drive and some places on Lincoln Road) so you always need to be aware and double check the bill.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Drive
Ocean Drive
10,580 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Lincoln Road
Lincoln Road
15,662 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant bills error and other drink scams in Miami Beach

i completely agree! on my entire trip the first time to sobe, i tipped on every bill all the time, not noticing the 18% that was already added! i just assumed it was more expensive there and didn't pay attention. i am not aware of the 18% extra charge and have been known do REDUCE it or not pay it if i see fit.

they add this to almost EVERYTHING, everywhere! watch out!

i was also caught up in that 2 for one drink special on ocean drive, when the bill came i found out it was 2 FOR 20! by the time the bill came it was too late!

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant bills error and other drink scams in Miami Beach

Not to justify, but a possible preventative measure is: ask for a wait person

who has been working at the establishment for more than two months. These

places are very busy with a lot going on and requires staff who have to

multi task frequently in a language that is not their native one.

4. Re: Restaurant bills error and other drink scams in Miami Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 05, 2010