We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south beach for familys?

england,leeds
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
south beach for familys?

bit worried after reading one review ,we are coming to miami next week straying in south beach at doubletree surfcombe we are a family of four with 14+ 16 year old kids need i be worried?

anywhere
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: south beach for familys?

Do you have boys? Expect them to want to spend a lot of time on the beach watching all the topless women. I don't think there is a need to be worried, but that is definetly what I would be doing at that age.

sim
Sunny Isles Beach,FL
Level Contributor
521 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: south beach for familys?

South Beach is an adult play ground, not designed for families. Go to North Miami Beach if you can.

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,101 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: south beach for familys?

We just stayed at the DoubleTree Surfcomber a week ago! I hope the weather is as good for you as it was for us. Needless to say, keep your eye on Hurricane Wilma. The weather typically is nice AFTER a Hurricane blows through but you don't want to be there WHILE it's there!

It's been said many times that South Beach may not be the best place for families but your guys are older so clearly you need to make the call what's best for you and your family. Here is my take on things:

1) The beach at South Beach is legally a topless beach, but the actual number of ladies going topless can be very few to maybe 40% to 50%. From what I've read about some of the beaches in Europe, this may not be anything different than what you are used to seeing. This is NOT a very busy time of year so there aren't that many people on the beach with or without tops!

2) During a more busy season or during special events, openly gay couples are not uncommon. However when we were there a few days ago, it was very quiet.

3) Homeless people are not uncommon.

Besides the beach, the pool hotel and shopping, there isn't that much for teenagers to do (unless they enjoy fine dinning and different kinds of food). But, having said that, I know my two boys about the same ages as yours, can play in the pool for hours. And the pool at the DoubleTree Surfcomber is GREAT as it's large and they even provide some pool floats!

Be sure your kids check out the Quicksilver store on Collins between 7th and 8th Street. This one at Collins has A LOT more for youth than their sister store on Lincoln.

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,101 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
england,leeds
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: south beach for familys?

thanks for the information,really looking forward to going,will get the boys some dark sunglasses and keep them off the beach ,ha ha only joking