We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel near haulover beach?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
hotel near haulover beach?

Hello,

I live in Naples during the winter (yeah, I know you hate snowbirds, I'll be a full time resident next year!) Anyway, I will be going to Cancun in February via Ft. Lauderdale airport and instead of driving across the alley that morning I would like to stay on the east coast the night before. Last year we stayed at the HOJO near the airport and decided to drive to south beach for the day. This year we thought we'd just stay in SOBE but there is an event (probably yatch show and vollypalooza like last year) so it's a two night minimum stay. Not good for me.

I thought we'd try the area where haulover beach is. Anyone know of hotels in the area? How far to haulover if I just stay at HOJO in Lauderdale again? The HOJO is right off 95.

Thanks in advance!

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
694 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel near haulover beach?

If the Hojo is near Ft Laud airport, I would say the drive to Haulover is about 25 minutes. There are hotels just north of the haulover area, in Sunny Isles. Sorry I don't remember the names.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel near haulover beach?

As I'm sure you know, about 1/3 of Haulover Beach is Clothing Optional. Therefore, it is a BIG attraction for various Naturalist Clubs and the like. Many of these clubs have GREAT web sites dedicated towards Haulover Beach including directions and nearby hotels. Do a google search on Haulover Beach and several of these organizations should pop up.

We were in SoBe about a month ago and stayed in SoBe but drove to Haulover a couple of days. It took no more than 15 minutes or so to make the drive. My GPS told me it was 9 miles.

As a side bar, I was very impressed with this beach in that everyone was VERY friendly, it was clean, and it is well monitored by both professional (police, lifeguards, etc.) as well as "ambassadors" that are volunteers (you can identify them as they wear a safari-like hat) to make sure everyone is having a good time, answer questions, or make sure folks behave themselves (such as no pictures without seeking permission first).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel near haulover beach?

Thanks guys....SOBEfan, did you go to the clothing optional section or a regular section. I have done clothing optional before. The only other public beach I know of is in Sandyhook, NJ. To get to this section you have to schlep a long way. Is it the same at haulover?

Thanks again

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
694 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel near haulover beach?

IMO, you have to shlep a long way, but then I'm lazy. You can't just park right in front of the beach. You have to park across the road in this lot and go under a tunnel to get to the nude beach. This isn't that bad, maybe 5 minutes, BUT if you get there too late, like after 12 noon, you have to park in the next lot which is across the non-nude beach, and I would say that is a 15 minute walk.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel near haulover beach?

Hey FN. It's looks like I'll end up with a bit of walk. We're driving in from Naples so I probably won't get to Haulover till after noon, unless I bypass the hotel first which might be the ideal thing. Only staying one day then it's off to Cancun from FLL. I'll make sure I take minimal stuff so I don't pass out from all the schelping. Got to take the beer though. Do they do chair rental? If not I'll just lay on a towel. Less to carry.

Thanks..mama

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
694 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel near haulover beach?

mama, I'm going to Cancun too! 4 weeks from tomorrow on 9/29. Maybe I've seen you on the Cancun forum, and that's why your screen name looks familiar.

I don't remember if Haulover rents chairs, but I'm pretty sure they do. They do have a hot dog and beverage stand.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
694 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel near haulover beach?

Oh, and speaking of Naples, we are going this weekend for Labor Day weekend. Just a 90 minute drive. Beautiful beaches! I can't find a lot of info on the Naples forum though.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel near haulover beach?

Hi Mama (924): To answer your question, yes, we went to the C/O section (the other section is referred to as the "textile" section - got a kick on that name :) ) and no, you don't have to "schlep" very far to get where you want to go. As a matter of fact, the C/O section was PACKED when we were there and it became very empty on the other side of the picket fence dividing the two areas. There is no doubt that the C/O section is a major draw and a boost to that area's local economy.

The naturalist web sites explained it perfectly. You want to park in the "North Parking Lot" (the most northern of the three parking lots in Haulover Park - the other two lots are much larger and called Parking Lot #1 and Parking Lot #2 - some gov't person must of came up with those creative names :) - again, if you look you can find a detailed map of Haulover Park that illustrates the three parking lots - along with the other amenities of Haulover Park).

If you get there early, you can park on the pavement. If you are late, you may need to park on the grassy lot that is off of the improved blacktop parking spaces. As you walk towards the ocean side of the parking lot, you will see a paved walking path that takes you to a tunnel that is below Collins Road (Highway A1 or is it A1A, I'm not sure). Once you walk through the tunnel, the path to the right goes up some stairs. Once up the stairs you see the path crossing a service road and you are there. You can't miss it - or the sign that "warns" people of the potential of seeing nudity. Oddly enough, the sign doesn't warn people that you are about to enter a beach with the most friendly people you'll ever meet on a beach.

Once we walked to the main section of the beach, we headed to the right or south part of the beach (during the weekends, someone may greet you with a flyer advertising the club that supports the beach). The north section (left side) attracts a higher percentage population of gay visitors whereas the direction we headed were singles, couples, and large crowds of regulars. At 47, we were older than most but not uncomfortably so. The only thing that differed from what I read from various postings about Haulover Beach was the average age of the visitors. I was expecting that my wife and I would be younger as I read most of the folks at Haulover were older and mostly men. I found that NOT to be the case at all as we were in the middle - if not the older side of what was "average" on the beach and there were nearly as many ladies as men.

Lastly, we learned that beer is legal to drink on the beach as long as it's in cans and not glass. If you run out, there is even a vendor that sells beer along with lots of other beach necessities. We had a great time and plan on visiting there again when in SoBe so we can work on what little tan lines are left :).

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel near haulover beach?

To address another question, we were there on a Saturday and Sunday - clearly the most busy days of the week. There was indeed a third-party company that rented lounge chairs and umbrellas (I don't remember how much - but I recall they were no more if not less than the going price at South Beach). Unlike South Beach, the follow follows you and sets them up where you want them rather than renting preset setups.

Unlike SoBe, most folks at Haulover brought their own folding chairs and umbrellas or used a towel/blanket directly on the sand. We plan on going in a few weeks and as we are flying rather than driving as we did the last time, we won't have our folding chairs/umbrella and plan on renting when there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel near haulover beach?

You guys have been more than helpful.

Sobe....thanks for the advice on which section to go to. I will head south. I'm glad there are as many people in my age group. I'm 43.

The day I plan on going is a Saturday so I expect the beach to be packed. Especially since it's high season. Definitely going to rent a chair. I'm happy to hear there's food and drink to buy too. All the info you gave was great. I'm going to do some googling now.

FMN.....I thought I recognized your name too. Wow, you only have 4 weeks to go before Cancun. I'm jealous. Where are you staying?

Yes, I agree the Naples forum lacks any info. It is a great area but nightlife leaves little to be desired. That's why we usually head to SOBE at least 3 times per season. If there's anything you need to know about Naples let me know. Glad to help and enjoy the weekend.