We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will Miami Beach be affected by Hurricane Emily? (the one...

Houston
3 posts
Save Topic
Will Miami Beach be affected by Hurricane Emily? (the one...

We're heading to Miami beach on the 16th of July (this weekend). I'm getting really nervous about hurricane Emily that has formed in the Atlantic. Can anyone tell me if Miami Beach is going to be affected by it? Thank You.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Will Miami Beach be affected by Hurricane Emily? (the one...

Since you didn't get too many helpful responses, here are some things to check.

wunderground.com/tropical/…at200505_5day.html

That's the current 5 day forecast. The NHC was very, very good w/ Dennis, but there was also little variance (relative to norm) in the computer models. This doesn't mean it won't head north, but that's an idication they have reason to believe it will stay to the south.

If you don't believe humans, check out the output of the computer models. Of course they are prone to errors, but when there is this little variability, that is good (they can look like spaghetti or a 4 year-olds drawing sometimes).

wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200505_…

When watching forecasts, watch the change in trends from day to day. This forecast has trended south from yesterday, which took it towards Hispanola and more on a track towards FL. So, as they often say, the "trend is your friend."

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Will Miami Beach be affected by Hurricane Emily? (the one...

It0112: Based on the current track, it seems just as likely that Emily will head toward Texas. Then again, no one really knows at this point.

I understand your concern about your vacation and your apparent lack of tropical weather knowledge, but honestly, we Floridians have no inside track on how storms are going to affect us. I wish I did, because it would have saved me the trouble of evacuating over the weekend.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Will Miami Beach be affected by Hurricane Emily? (the one...

Endeavor, I was planning to come to Florida in early December. I was wondering if you could tell me if there is a hurricane planned for December 2. I hope not since I had planned on visiting Key West, Epcot Center and Six Flags in Atlanta all on that same day and I don't want an act of God to ruin my one-day vacation of a lifetime. Also are there any sharks in Tampa Bay?

Seriously though, these questions are a riot. Just check out the maps at weather.com. It's not that hard.